Editing movies - Which one Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iNYC152, Feb 14, 2016.

1. iNYC152, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016

iNYC152 macrumors newbie

Hello!
    I need Macbook for start editing movies in iMovie. Previously I used a Windows hardware. I want a new operating system. My choice is OS X. I have question for you. iMovie need a lot of power like i7, 16gb ram and dedicated graphics card? I just starting with recording, editing and sharing on YT. I don't need a spectacular effects in my movies. This is not games recording! Maybe hardware like macbook pro 13 2012 without Retina is enough for me? I have 1000$ US. What model MBP(r) or Air is best for me?

Ps. My english is not great. I know x).

Thanks for help!
    INYC152

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

If you've decided a MacBook is what you want, and considering $1000 US is your budget, you should definitely check out Apple's Refurb Store, where great equipment can be had at considerable savings, iow that same $1000 will buy you a more upgraded laptop.

These units have undergone a rigorous refurbishment process, are usually, aesthetically speaking, undistinguishable from new equipment, come with (same as new) one year warranty, full return privileges, and if desired can be covered by optional AppleCare.

Check that Refurb Store often, even several times a day, and when you find what you want, be prepared to act fast. Good Luck!

3. iNYC152 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for reply! But still I don't know what hardware is good choice for me, for beginner editor movies. MBP or MBA, I5 or i7, 8gb ram or 16gb, older iris or newer and non retina or retina display. If you can more precisely your answer, I will glad you.

4. elmughrabi macrumors newbie

elmughrabi

Hi,
    For video editing in general, macbook pro then iMac, then Macbook Air.
    of course iMovie will not need as much power as FinalCutProX. So whatever you decide to buy make sure to maximize your RAM as much as you can. I used to edit clips on Macbook Air 2012 with 8GB ram and it was very Good!

5. iNYC152 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much! I think about macbook air 13 inch one of the newer and maybe macbook pro 13 inch retina 2012-2015.
    I want lightweight laptop not heavy workstation. Macbook should be mobility for me. I have question about Retina display. More pixels have it matters when I editing movies HD/FullHD? Then Macbook should be stronger?

6. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Unless your working with 4K all the notebooks will work with no real problems.

Having 8GB RAM minimum is essential. Having an i7 is preferable. SSDs will make life more bearable too.

My current rig is a 2012 cMBP 15" with quad core cpu, dual SSDs and 16GB of RAM.

I bought 2nd hand, aftermarket RAM and SSDs (2x500GB).

To my mind it is the best compromise of cost/performance that you can currently get in a Mac notebook.

7. iNYC152 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks you Santabean for your reply!

You have two disks SSD. I think about basic SSD in laptop and one HDD 1-2tb extended disk for archives videos.

Sometimes when I looking for Macbooks I see a lot of configurations. MBP with quad core processor is very expensive. In Poland prices are higher than in USA and people earn less money. I think that I can buy only 2 cores 4 threads i5/i7 processor.

I will try to buy newer Macbook Pro with i5/i7, 8/16gb ram with better graphics card. I will be happy when I find laptop with Retina display.