Editing my dvds in Imovie? Not working...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jrm27, Dec 16, 2010.

1. jrm27 macrumors 6502

Hello all,

I'm trying to edit together some scenes from different DVD's that I have... making a compilation/montage if you will. I have handbraked all the movies I need, but I can't import them into imovie.

When I use Mpeg streamclip to convert portions, the picture stutters quite a bit and there is a lot of "blocking" going on in the darker regions. IS there a better way to do this? Am I missing someithng here? Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

The best way, also the most expensive one with a 20 USD purchase, is buying the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component (http://store.apple.com/us/product/D2187Z/A) and using MPEG Streamclip to convert the MPEG-2 video to a .mov file using the Apple Intermediate Codec.
    You may need to rip the DVD first via MacTheRipper or any other ripper out there.

3. jrm27 thread starter macrumors 6502

well, if I use mpeg streamclip, I can get the files into imovie. However, the streamclip converted files look pretty bad. Stuttery and blocky....

4. simsaladimbamba

That is most likely, because you used Handbrake first.

What settings did you use in Handbrake and in MPEG Streamcli? Be as precise as you can get, maybe make screenshots.

5. jrm27 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I'm thinking too. I dont think the culprit is handbrake, it might be, but I think it might be mpeg streamclip.

My Handbrake settings are what I use for all my divd rips that I then play on my TV (they look fine there). Apple Universal with the slider moved over to 18.

In Mpeg streamclip I tell it to "export to quicktime", but its not using the apple intermediate codec... it is using motion jpg?

6. simsaladimbamba

Then it might be time, to set it to Apple Intermediate Codec, just click on that drop down menu on the right side of "Compressor", where it currently says "Apple Motion JPEG A" and select Apple Intermediate Codec. No harm in that.

And don't forget to select Uncompressed for "Sound".

7. iFergal macrumors newbie

DVD rip to iMovie

Thru trial & error I've found I get the best quality by riping the DVD using Mac The Ripper or similar then using Toast to convert the VOB file to a DV file which will be MASSIVE but which can easily be converted to Quicktime (dont forget to de-interlace!) or used in iMovie as is. It seems convoluted but I have yet to find a procedure that gives better results than this.

8. simsaladimbamba

One that is even simpler and cheaper: Get the QT MPEG-2 PlayBack Component for 20 USD and use MPEG Streamclip to convert the video from the DVD to whatever you like after you may have ripped it due to copy protection schemes.

9. jrm27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ive downloaded the QT mpeg2 functionality... what part does that play in the process? Thanks!

10. simsaladimbamba

If the video DVD is already ripped onto your HDD, open MPEG Streamclip.
    Select File > Open DVD (CMD+SHIFT+O) and select the right VIDEO_TS folder.
    If it has several titles, choose the correct one (trial and error).
    Then go to File > Export to QuickTime (CMD+E).
    Select "Apple Intermediate Codec" under Compression.
    Select "Uncompressed" under Sound.
    Select the resolution with "(unscaled)" behind it.
    Click "Make Movie" and select the target folder.

11. jrm27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! Is there a different process if one of the movies I want to use hasn't been converted in handbrake (just have the DVD)?

12. simsaladimbamba

The process I described are to use for the files directly from the DVD (.vob, .ifo, .bup) inside the VIDEO_TS folder, therefore Handbrake hasn't touched them yet.
    Therefore you can use the method I described with that DVD you haven't ripped and transcoded via Handbrake yet and for all the other DVDs you might have already ripped (via MacTheRiper or any other rip software) and maybe even already transcoded via Handbrake.
    Don't use the .mp4 files from Handbrake, better use the video DVD source to preserve the best available quality.

13. iFergal macrumors newbie

That does sound like a much more straightforward approach & i'll give it a go when i get a chance & compare the results with my method. It sure would save a lot of time & space. Thanks.

14. simsaladimbamba

Time: yes.
    Space: not really, as the H264 encoded .mp4 file via Handbrake will take much less space than the AIC encoded one. An SD video encoded with AIC takes up 12GB/h.

15. jrm27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Think I've got it working! For some reason I cant get mpeg streamclip to actually open the dvd, so I've been using mac the ripper to make a copy of the dvd on my desktop, then using MPEG streamclip to access it there.

I'm converting to DV as I know that imovie plays nice with that. It also seems that DV has really good quality and isnt as lossy. No skipping anymore though. Thanks all!

16. simsaladimbamba

1. Copy protection schemes prevent third party software from copying content of a commercial DVD. A ripping program circumvents this, therefore the resulting VIDEO_TS folder is accessible.

2. If you use NTSC DVDs (Japan and USA), better use the Apple Intermediate Codec, as it is not as lossy as the NTSC DV codec and takes up the same HDD space.
    If it is a PAL DVD (Europe and all the other continents, with exceptions though), you can use the DV codec.
    http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-tech.html#colorSampling

But as the source is already lossy (MPEG-2) you can't get better images with less compressive codecs anyway.