Editing non copyright DVD with iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wayne s, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Wayne s macrumors regular

I thought that I read some where that you could edit DVD's using iMovie, when I try to import the DVD content into iMovie the files are grayed out and as such I can not select them to import.

I did manage to do it by using handbrake to convert the VOB files into MP4, but would be easier if iMovie could do it.

This is a non copyright DVD made using iDVD for a friend of mine by a friend of his, so there is nothing illegal involved.

2. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

I think Handbrake is the most convenient way ... appart from asking your friend's friend for the original files he used to build the DVD.

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

MPEG streamclip is the free software you need to convert MPEG-2 files into formats that iMovie can work with.

Open the DVD (its quicker if you copy the files you want to edit to the hard drive), select the footage you want and choose export to DV.

4. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

My friend does not want to upset his friend by asking for the original files. Basically he his not happy with the sound quailty and wants to change the audio in iMovie.

Its all done now, I just wondered if there was a quicker way to get the files into iMovie and skip the handbrake part.

I converted him to Mac so he always thinks I have the answers, looks like I may have this time.

I love this forum, I have learnt everything I know about OS X and Mac's from this site, and can pass on what I learn to a mate.

5. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, the conversion part was not the problem though.