Editing on MBP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by enjoymac, Jan 27, 2010.

1. enjoymac macrumors newbie

Next week our team will do some shootings on the field for a 4 min.video, and my boss suggested to use my MBP from signature to save the content from the camera- HD, or ultra HD (will find out soon)- on external HDD through firewire, with FCP, on the spot, in order to use the content for transcriptions, and translations. My questions are related to the hardware, if my Mac is going to handle it, like having it on fire? Will it able to do the job in reasonable time, and not to spend days to finish the job? Is there any stuff that I should by to help it? I must say that I use my Mac mostly for photos, so I have very little experience with video.
    Thank you in advance for your answers.

2. nep61 macrumors 6502

I've got the 17" MBP with the 2.93GHz and 4 GB of RAM... and Obviously the same grfx cards. You should have no problem with the HD footage... some things will be sluggish, ie. multiple layers etc.
    I've done a many projects now with my machine and I'm really pleased with it and the protability is a plus.
    As always, make sure the Project file stays on the MBP and the Media (Footage/Stills etc) are on an external HD. I'll assume you'll have a 7200rpm drive with a FW800 connection... good luck.