Editing PPD files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigdrunk, Mar 24, 2010.

1. bigdrunk macrumors newbie

Hi all, I hope someone can help out. I have been searching all over the net and haven't really found anything that I can use.

I am trying to edit a PPD file, I think I have found the right part to change but it doesn't seem to work.

I would like the area in 'Notes 1' to be pre-populated with some text. But the PPD is so confusing I can't see where to change it. I can change the 'Notes 1' text to anything but I can't get the text field to contain any text from the PPD.

The company who supplied us with the printer assured us they had the in-house ability to edit PPDs for us, but they don't.

Attached Files:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

WTF? PPD files are usually written for specific printer models by their manufacturers. The only time that you should need to edit a PPD file is if you had made some physical change to the printer--added three-side printing, duplex printing on CDs, a roll-paper feeder, Braille--that sort of thing.

3. carlospuk macrumors newbie

Bit harsh - there are reasons why he might want to edit it.

For example, I have a scenario right now where adding a custom page size won't work due to incompatibility issues with the printer driver, so I'm forced to track down the PPD and add/edit my own paper size in that file.