Editing remote files?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Xil3, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Xil3 macrumors regular

I just purchased a MBP and still learning things, but one of my biggest questions is how I would go about editing remote files.

I'll give a scenario...

When I used to use my PC I'd use HTML-Kit and connect via ftp/ftps through the editor and edit files remotely on different servers for website development.

I tried doing this with textmate, and from what I could tell it doesn't support it.

The other thing I tried was using macFUSE + macFusion to mount ftp or ssh file systems and then access them with an editor (But that didn't work since the filesystem was appearing under file://localhost/Volume/filesystemname

Any ideas? How do you guys do it?

2. Zortrium macrumors 6502

The easiest way would just be to SSH to remote servers in a terminal window and edit via a command-line text editor (vi/emacs/nano/etc.). That's usually how I work remotely.

3. Xil3 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, I use VI if I am editing things in the console, but sometimes it's quicker to do things in a more user friendly editor like Textmate or something else...

I think I figured out a way to do it though... so it should be fine.

4. KT322 macrumors newbie

BBEdit / TextWrangler (free) works well for me using its built-in SFTP/FTP remote editing capability.

5. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I second that, Coda allows you to connect to your sites remotely and edit the files directly on the server.