Editing Stations [photo]

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iampaulb, Jul 25, 2012.

1. iampaulb macrumors regular

Right i have held off asking this for many hours! But boredom at work i have caved. I havent put this in the photo section as i didnt think it would get much repsonce. Buttttt.....

Can you guys post photos of your editing stations, your sets ups and explain them? Im interested in see what you guys got, as i am looking to upgrade certain bits of mine.

2. mBox macrumors 68020

Its an Avid/Pro Tools/Resolve/RED suite.
    Somethings Id like to replace but not my call.
    The Dual 30s are starting to be a pain with pixel anomalies.
    Cant seem to find anything on our problem.
    Its hooked up to a Gefen DVIDL across two Mac Pro's.
    One is the Avid/Resolve/RED attached to a CUBIX or CUDA.
    There is a Flanders on the left that is strictly Resolve and RED.
    The Sony on the right is for Avid.
    The NEC is crap at top but can be replaced later.

[​IMG]

3. heyimandy macrumors member

4. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

My personal edit station, for Final Cut, Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Resolve.

8-Core 2.26Ghz, 24GB RAM
    GTX285
    GT120
    Decklink Extreme 3D

Panasonic BT-L2150PJ
    Apple 30inch Cinema
    Lacie 324i

All on an adjustable sit-stand desk.

Attached Files:

5. mBox macrumors 68020

Love this one :)
    How are you finding the Apple 30s of late?

6. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Aside from the occasional quirkiness (flickering, not turning on :rolleyes:), it's a great monitor. Plenty of workspace, decent color accuracy, and looks great. It's getting old though and I'm going to have to replace it sometime soon.

7. mBox macrumors 68020

We have five left of ten :(
    Should have purchased the Dell 30s when they were available.
    We have two Apple 27s and hate em.
    Im typing on dual 27s Dell U2711 (3D workstation) and they are great.
    The flicker drives us nuts and only in pure blacks.
    We thought it was the Gefen or display cards but have tested others.

8. iampaulb thread starter macrumors regular

:eek::eek: blows my mind! id love a set up like that!!!

This is mine. [​IMG]

spec is below, wacom bamboo, and i have a 1tb Getech under the desk

9. Policar macrumors 6502a

How much is the Flanders monitor? Do you know of any monitors appropriate for Resolve that cost <$1000 (then add $300 for calibration, I suppose)? And how much for the control surface? I'd like to start doing more grading, but I can't put together a decent package for much under $15,000 and my budget is like $2,500. (In theory.)

Nice set up, btw.

10. mBox, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

mBox macrumors 68020

Honestly its a costly venture with Flanders or HP Dream Color. Your looking at way over 2k for HP and 5k for Flanders.
    You can try and pull it off with your computer display.
    For video on the cheap, get a Black Magic Intensity Pro PCI card for 200 and a Samsung UN22D5000 for around 200. The Samsung has a blue option for calibrating. I havent tried to use that as a Color monitor for Resolve yet.
    As far as a control surface, the Avid Artist was around 1500 I think.
    Look into the new Tangent Wave, its pretty good.
    But honestly as a beginner I wouldnt buy one till a few jobs in.
    People have professionally worked in Apple Color and Resolve without one.
    I hear you can use an iPad :)

Sorry I forgot to add that if you plan on using a Flander, you will also need some type of HD-SDI output.
    Then if you need to use odd output cards/decks that use Dual Link SDI then you will need an Dual Link SDI to 3D SDI converter. Each of those run up to 1k each.
    God it never ends :p

11. Policar macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I've actually graded some pretty big features and have been turning down freelance work lately (I've done a few limited theatrical releases, one shot in 35mm, even, fingers crossed on a potential studio picture next year) but for very low rates to build a resume….and now I might have to start freelancing to pay bills--but that also means buying my own gear.

I'll look into the Samsung. I've heard from high end professionals that anything less than a Dreamcolor connected via HDSDI and calibrated professionally isn't even worth grading youtube videos on, but if I can get the Samsung nicely calibrated (I've heard blue only calibration is insufficient for rec709 and you need an ISF calibration with a color probe and someone with access to the service menu, but that might only cost $500 extra) I'd go with it. Although in NTSC days I just calibrated to pluge bars no problem (I am showing my age here). I've worked for years without a surface and am very tired of it, but I suppose the monitor should come first, and am glad to hear it isn't considered necessary.

12. mBox macrumors 68020

Well you are further along this road than I :)
    I just started learning Resolve last November.
    My stint as a Colorist is sporadic since Im actually the 3D/Motion design guy slash baby-sitter (being groomed as manager).
    It sounds like you have the experience to take on the bigger projects :)

Thanks for the tips on Calibration.
    My Samsung at home is basically personal low end stuff.
    I dont do freelance but Im just about to secure a Black Magic Cinema Camera for that :)
    Only so much GoPro I can do on the side.
    The Flanders at work has not been calibrated but then I was told I didnt have too.
    Since its strictly for REDCineXPro and Resolve, seeing those clips in 3GSDI mode confuses me as far as wanting to grade em.

I only said that since you mentioned your budget.
    Im a firm believer that if you got this far without one and have been successful or happy, then you dont need it.
    The display is a different story.
    The photo above shows the Flanders on left and an older Sony LMD on the right.
    The Sony is deemed for Avid/FCPX/FCP/Premiere (yes all of them on one system works).
    Its not 1080 i/p but of lower pixel.
    We use that to match the XDCAM footages (retired thanks to the RED MX) during edits.

I put this studio together in the past 3 years. Before that it was mostly BetaCam and SVHS.
    There are few things I would change but I think its time to start using all the tools first :)

13. Policar macrumors 6502a

I'm glad I have you fooled, hopefully I can convince clients, too...I'm still working with Color (though I plan to transition to Resolve within the year) and only got the gigs I did because producers ran out of time and money and I agreed to work almost free for 80-hour weeks. But it worked in that I built a resume (and learned how to grade at a professional level, though I'd dabbled for many years). But I'm leaving my current job to continue my education and need to find some part-time work so I'm considering doing this professionally as a freelancer.

Those calibration tips aren't my own--just what I heard from very high end pros. It's hard for me to imagine that there isn't a $1000 monitor or something that's capable of acceptable color, but the Samsung might be too low-end...or maybe not. After all, Resolve is only $1000; a surface (which I'll gladly skip for now--I was also told no one would take me seriously without one) is $1,500; why are monitors $5,000 at the low end to $30,000? I just don't get it.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Before BM bought DaVinci and tied it to their hardware you were looking at over $200k to get you foot in the door w/Resolve. The 'budget' coloring software used to be FinalTouch which was $25k but then Apple acquired the company, rebranded the software as Apple Color and added it at no extra charge to the FCP suite. Baselight and Pablo coloring systems will still set you back a pretty penny. Heck, Baselight's plugin for FCP7 and Avid is $1000 and people, including myself, are excited about the potential there.

Control panels range from $1500 to over $30,000 (Resolve's panels are $30,000) and the $1500 price point is pretty new. Before the Tangent Wave came out 2-3yrs ago JLCooper had the least expensive panels and those would set you back about $5,000. Now, thanks in large part to Color, there is a growing sub-$5k market for panels.

For monitors, a 21" 8-bit Flanders Scientific is $2500 and, according to Flanders their monitors should never need manual calibration but in case they do you can always send them back for calibration at no cost other than shipping. The 24" HP DreamColor is also $2500 but it requires a few hoops to jump through to get it working correctly for video. Allan Tepper has a number of articles at ProVideoCoalition.com that talk about the best ways to use a DreamColor as a color accurate video monitor.

It was only 6 or 7yrs ago that broadcast quality HD monitors ranged from $10,000 - $60,000 so something like the Flanders just seems awesome to me. For a while the least expensive but most accurate 'budget' solution was an original Matrox MXO ($999) coupled with a 23" Apple Cinema Display. A big downside was that the ACD would start drifting in as little as 8-12hrs but if you had this budget setup you probably weren't working with the most high paying clients. Considering how long in the tooth a 23" ACD would be today I wouldn't try this setup anymore.

W/regards to the prices, if you are making precision tools for a very small audience then it will just cost more. Manufacturing costs are higher because the tolerances are more stringent and the cost per unit is higher because your customer base is measured in the low thousands as opposed to hundreds of thousands or millions for consumer-oriented gear. Even on something like the Tangent Wave, which is aimed and a professional niche, the build quality is far below Tangent's higher end CP200 panels.

15. mBox macrumors 68020

Hmmm exactly what WRP says ;)

Thanks WRP that was awesome!!

I love a good geek topic this late in the day :)

16. Policar macrumors 6502a

This is very helpful. I know Resolve and Color were once the high end, but you'd figure the release of affordable panels would be accompanied by the release of affordable monitors. What about a Panasonic plasma? I have seen these (connected via HDSDI) at high end houses. I've also seen $50,000 CRTs cheap on eBay, but do I trust those old monitors.... No.

Do you mind if I PM you about this, btw? It seems like you might be able to offer some advice for someone in my position even more broadly than in terms of what monitor to buy, but I don't want to disclose specifics of personal identity online. Thanks!

17. mBox macrumors 68020

Ive seen them using Plasmas for client monitoring. THus why we have the NEC in our studio.

18. WRP macrumors 6502a

My home workhorse (that is sadly in boxes from my recent move):

[​IMG]

A freelance suite I used to work in pretty often:

[​IMG]

And my current view at my new full time gig:

[​IMG]

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think what you can get today for $3k or less is pretty affordable to just a few years ago. I know Panasonic has some pro-grade plasmas that are good but I can't remember the model numbers or prices off the top of my head.

Sure, feel free to shoot me a PM.

I don't have a pic handy but here is a list of what I had at previous long term gig.
    45" Sony Bravia client monitor (barely used it)
    2 x 23" Apple Cinema Displays
    24" JVC DT-V24L1D broadcast monitor (good except the viewing angle was horrible)
    17" Samsung for my scopes
    Tektronix WVR7200 scopes
    Tangent Wave control panel (much preferred to the JLCooper I had prior)
    Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (video I/O)
    Tascam FW-1082 audio control surface (I think I used it once)
    Genlec speakers (don't remember the model number)
    2010 Mac Pro 12-core

20. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

21. iampaulb thread starter macrumors regular

NIIIIICE!!! few questions...

1. i noticed you got one of those ball thingy m bobs. You think its worth buying just the one to learn a bit of grading, with something like Speedgrade or other systems who use that type of tool? Or is that not what you use it for?

2. you got a intous too, you find it better working off a tablet? I find myelf switching between the two. but favouring the my Bamboo as it has the touch feature too.

3. What type of speaker setup is that? Just two normal desk speakers? I am currently using these but theyre the older model.

and thats it i think :)

22. WRP, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

WRP macrumors 6502a

#1 - I can't work without a trackball. I worked for a company that had those in every edit suite. I never used one before. Not having my own suite and floating around I found it hard to keep a mouse with me and was forced to use them. Now... I find it tedious to work without one at all times. It's the Kensington expert mouse.

#2 - I know many people who work with a tablet 100% of the time. Usually they are flame/smoke users but some others as well. I personally don't use it to navigate the workspace on a regular basis. I use my tablet for photoshop work and mask work in after effects. I find rotoscoping and mask work with a mouse a PITA.

#3 - audio engine A2 desktop speakers. They certainly aren't ideal but I had to build this rig on a $6000 budget (w/o television). I spend 95% of my time with my Sony MDR-7506 headphones on my head. Monitoring final edit on crappy speakers is actually quite good. When doing your sound mix on great speakers you can overlook things and hearing it on bad speakers like a tv that most people will be using can actually help you catch things.

I would prefer to work on my home system even though it is only a quad core. Good components are key.

Feel free to ask anything else. I like talking shop. I've had to write up several proposals for "lower end" edit setups so I have a ton of into on budget setups that are ideal for editing. :)

23. zyr123 macrumors 6502

School-
    I3 3.0 dual core imac (its slow but gets the job done)
    Some random bad vga moniter that I just keep my event browser on

Mobile-
    2.2 quad core 15 mbp 512 mb vram 8 gb of ram
    Headphones- beats by dre studios or random 20 $ skull candy in ears that are pretty good.
    Some type of scratch disk-

24. Keebler, Jul 27, 2012

Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi WRP,

I believe those are Rokit speakers? If so, how do you like them?

mBox what speakers are you using?

I have an older generic type of computer speaker. I create photoslideshows with music, voice overs and transfer home videos. Nothing for broadcast, but obviously a clean sound is key. Output is for bluray, DVD or H.264 so I'm looking for a cost effective speaker which will be flat enough that I can adjust as required. Any recommendations would be great.

Current speakers are doing the trick, but I'm always looking to upgrade my hardware after I've set aside some cash to do it.

Cheers,
    Keebler

25. iampaulb, Jul 27, 2012

iampaulb thread starter macrumors regular

You will wish you never said that now LOL! Ok, my current set up is the iMac in my sig / bamboo touch tablet / 1TB G-tech drive / Bose desk speakers and that is it!

How can improve it? baring in mind i have to have the one screen due to lack of working space. Programs i am using are:

• Premiere Pro CS6
    • After Effects CS6 (learning slowly)
    • Adobe Speedgrade (have no idea but wanting to learn)
    • FCPX
    • Photoshop

any suggestions to help me would be awesome. I also like talking shop so share away :D