Editing the Dock [Snow Leopard]

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Morgan Stack, May 28, 2013.

1. Morgan Stack macrumors member

I'm trying to edit the dock, so it looks a bit less ****.

• remove the separator
    • remove the bottom edge
    • remove the glass dock background

To clarify, all that should remain is the finder, trash and applications.

Cheers and chips.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I've seen some of that asked before, and the answer was no. Good luck though.

3. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

You used to be able to do those tweaks back in 10.4 days with transparent dock or clear dock to name a couple. Nothing since.

4. Morgan Stack thread starter macrumors member

Extra question

• Is it possible to tweak the dock, so it appears instantaneously on hover, and also on hide?

5. Drew017, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

There are plenty of dock editing apps and things you can do. One thing you can try is to use the 2D dock.

You can also edit it manually by going into the dock application (by navigating to HD/system/library/coreservices/dock.app and then clicking "show package contents" and clicking on "contents" and "resources") and scrolling through the images of the backgrounds and separators etc and editing or deleting them.

you can also try these apps-

Candybar
    Docker

And you can use this one if you want your dock transparent (without the background)

6. RedCroissant, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013

RedCroissant Suspended

There are ways of doing this but it entails not only removing icons from the dock, but using more than one application(mirage, deeper, Onyx) to set preferences for applications but also editing the app itself so that you can open apps to prevent them from appearing once opened(I did this with Firefox but didn't really end up liking the result). This however will force you to use activity monitor and terminal to quit currently running applications.

Hide running Apps

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There have been numerous threads in this forum, reporting problems as a result of modifying the dock or other interface elements. I would advise caution in doing so, as it can sometimes cause more problems than it solves.

8. brains & brawn macrumors newbie

brains & brawn

i myself use a app called "dock library" it works like a charm, you can change to different types of pre-set docks