Editing the Open With... list?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jialuolu, Jun 2, 2007.

1. jialuolu macrumors regular

I find that with certain file formats, it offers me a list of like 30 applications, some of which are completely absurd (Big Bang tic-tac-toe :confused:). So, I was wondering if there was any way to remove some applications from this list. Thanks

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Thats a very good question, I'd like to know the answer too.

3. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

To my knowledge I don't think there is a way to restrict which applications show up on the list. The system looks for any program that is meant to open that file, and tries it's best to list them. However sometimes programs share similar or the same file types and you may get an odd list of programs. You may be able to dig or hack into the system to change it, but I don't think that would be a wise (or easy) thing to do. ;)

But, you can however change what program by default opens a file. For example if all of my JPEG files opened with Preview by default, I can change it to open in Photoshop instead. To do this simply select the file and go to the menu, File > Info in the Finder. (Or press Command [:apple: key] I) while a file is selected in the Finder to get information on the file.

There you can change the default application the file opens with. Also, if you want you can click "Change All" so instead of that one JPEG file opening in the selected program, All JPEG files will do so. :)

Attached Files:

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

First of all, you can rebuild your LaunchServiceDatabase using this terminal command:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/\
    Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister \
    -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

this will eliminate any duplicates and/or apps that are no longer installed.

Then, if you are good with a text editor, you could edit that same database to remove unwanted apps, or check versiontracker to get a utility to do it :)

5. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Well that's news to me, :eek: It's a great tip, but I certainly wouldn't venture into the Terminal if you are not sure what you're doing. So be careful ;)

6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

And I agree that not everyone should fiddle with the Terminal. But the command I posted is straightforward and only forces the system rebuild the intended database. You would need to change some of the text strings or do something else stupid to do any damage........

ps I got that command from someone here, and have used it many, many times on 10.3.xx - 10.4.xx notta problemo. But YMMV!

It's especially useful after cloning my boot drive to my back-up drive (w/SuperDuper or CCC), which causes the "open with" menu to show at least 2 of every friggin app I have installed ...... one command + enter and BAM, it's fixed :D