Editing the word dictionary

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by Pagemakers, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

It was my understanding you could edit the phone's word disctionary in iOS5.

If this not the case?

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I don't believe you can. This is something I've longed for for quite some time now.

3. pbrooks, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

pbrooks macrumors regular

pbrooks

You can edit the dictionary.

Surely you've noticed that as you type on an iOS device, it offers suggested corrections for words that the iOS doesn't recognize. It is my understanding that every time you reject a suggested correction by tapping on that little 'x' to make it go away, you have just taught the dictionary to accept your spelling from now on.

This is why there is a RESET KEYBOARD DICTIONARY commanding under Setting>>General>>Reset.

4. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Didn't know about that reset option. I'll have to keep an eye out for whether or not the dictionary no longer underlines "custom" words after I tap on that little "x" going forward. Thanks!

5. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Resetting the dictionary does exactly that. It resets all words. It does not edit them.

Pressing the X when it suggests a word just means 'do not use the suggestion'. It does not delete it from the dictionary.

6. tpaine macrumors newbie

7. Gary King macrumors 6502

Neat trick. So I guess the keyboard shortcuts and the dictionary play well together when there is conflict like this?