Editing using footage from the RED one camera.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by LucyHelen, Jul 23, 2009.

1. LucyHelen macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm a final cut pro editor with FCP 5.0

I have been asked to edit footage from a RED camera, and don't know if I can support it, I have a mac book pro, and a imac and os x 10.5.7.

What I want to know is if I can support the footage for successful editing, and what hardware I need to import the footage, as I'm totally new to RED and don't know what format it is in.

Any help would be amazing!

Thanks

2. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

As far as hardware, from the Red Site

"Depending on your system configuration, you may see less than full frame rate playback. RED recommends the current top end configuration of a MacPro with 8 cores, fast RAID 0 striped drives and a minimum of 4 gigabytes of RAM if you plan on editing 2K or larger QuickTime reference movies. For RT editing on a MacBook Pro, RED recommends you use 1K QuickTime reference movies."

Also, Codec Wise, RedCode RAW format DOES support RT playback and editing of QT reference movie generated in camera or by RED Alert (packaged with cam, I believe or download from red.com

Congratulations on a Fantastic Purchase! WOW...you're going to have some fun. Make sure to share some of that footage:)

Take care and good luck....and for a WHOLE lot more on what you need to know about their proprietary codecs, check out www.red.com *Also, keep in mind, the new FCP was released today. If you haven't already purchased FCP, check into FCP 7. I just ordered mine and should see it next Tuesday or so. BUT, most likely updated support for your camera and my 5D2, at least with an updated ProRes feature.

J