Editing Video on 15" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsyxx, Jul 5, 2009.

1. jsyxx macrumors newbie

I've noticed from some other threads that the 17" MBP is the way to go for video editing but I'm getting a good deal on a 15" MBP. I'm going to use mainly for editing video using Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects,

is there any problem or inconvenience that occurs when using the 15" instead of the 17" for editing?

will Adobe CS4 run smoothly on the 15" MacBook Pro?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The only difference of note would be the screen size.

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

The apps will run just as well on a 15" as a 17" with similar hardware. The screen size may be frustrating after awhile. If you're going to spend hours working, I'd get an external monitor anyway, cause 17" is still a pretty small screen and its hard to get in a comfortable position for hours upon hours of edit with a laptop.

4. jsyxx thread starter macrumors newbie

What about Adobe CS4? any1 had any experience with that on a 15 inch MBP?

i heard that there is some problem with the program being 64 bit and the Mac running in 32 bit. anything on that?

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I wouldn't bog down so much on the screen size for editing video - it mainly depends on your eyesight and that's relative between users. Besides... raw processing power is the best thing for rendering.

I use a 13" macbook to edit video and photos but always on my external. With this setup I get the best of both worlds... screen size when I need it and compact mobility when I don't.

6. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

CS4 on OSX does not run in 64 bit. However, CS4 on Windows does. CS5 promises 64 bit performance for OSX.

If you've used any Adobe CS program before then you'll find that running it on a MBP is pretty much the same.

7. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

CS4 runs great on a MacBook Pro.
    I own a 15" as well and I do video editing on it occasionally.
    Just for fun... it's not my job or anything like that.
    I usually use Final Cut Pro, but I have used Premiere Pro on the MacBook Pro as well. It runs great!