Editing with a Canon 5D MkII

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ebutka, Jan 28, 2009.

1. ebutka macrumors regular

ebutka

I have been using iMovoe 08 to edit the video from the camera. However it crashes a lot. Has anyone used iMovie 09 with it? I tryed using Final Cut Express 4, but I couldnt get it to work with the HD, it would just be in SD. Any comments or suggestions?

2. darksting macrumors newbie

would love to hear an answer to this, i have the mk 1 5D, and thinking about upgrading to the mk2 for the movie capabilites, which seem stunning.

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

try converting the video to Apple Intermediate Codec before bringing it into iMovie... editing mpeg4 video is not really a recommended process.

4. mhokie macrumors newbie

Not sure of the answer to your question however I am interested in the quality of the video. I hadn't heard about these SLR cameras integrating HD video until a few weeks ago and I am curious about the quality. YouTube doesn't do justice to HD video so please share your thoughts I'm anxious to know :)

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

watch this... looks great, except that it looks totally like video since it doesn't have 24p recording.

6. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Like someone suggested earlier, you have to transcode it to the Apple Intermediate Codec so that it can edit natively within iMovie. MP4 is not a recommended format for editing.

If you have Final Cut Pro, it's best to edit transcode the footage to ProRes. Unfortunately, Final Cut Express doesn't support ProRes editing. It's only able to decode ProRes files.

With that said, the video quality is amazing on the Mark II. Assuming that you have a fast lens, it's even more incredible for low-light shooting. Just wish you had manual control over aperture and shutter speeds...Oh and ISO speed as well. ISO speed is important for low-light, since the higher that you get, the noisier the video gets! Wish we at least had that option to set it manually! I'm waiting for a firmware update! C'mon Canon! You can do it! :D

7. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

what computer r u using? ram? hdd rpm? sometimes, programs crash if it can't handle the material. i wouldn't be surprise if the hi-def material is a bit steep for your computer. the only solution would be to upgrade your setup. buying imovie 09 will not solve this, though.

as someone else suggested, try converting your video files into apple intermediate codec using MPEG Streamclip, which is free and a great program. and see if this will work.

and if you wanna check out videos in all its hi-def glory - there is that users based website, called vimeo dot com.

8. ebutka thread starter macrumors regular

ebutka

Alright, Thanks all. I just realized I'm really dumb... So editing to FCE looked liked SD video, well I decided to export it and it was 1080 HD. As for my computer, I'm using a blackbook 2.4 with 4gb ram. There has been lots of stories with iMovie crashing in general. But I think I found the problem.

Just like a DSLR, the higher ISO one shoots, the larger the file is. So is the same for video. I exported 2 minutes of video at 3200 ISO, and the file was just over 500 MB. I had 1.45 minutes of video at 100 ISO and the file was just over 120 MB. There is the answer. With a little more research and fooling around I came to the conclusion that iMovie 08 crashes with higher sized files. Since it never crashed with the video from 100 ISO. So I'm positive thats why.

As for my glass... I'm using a 28-135mm IS USM 3.5-5.6... for now :( I need to save a lot of money for my vacation in May. But as soon as I can, I am buying the 24-70mm L 2.8.

If anyone wants to see some video, send me an email for something and I will see what I can do.
    ebutka@gmail.com