Editor's Query: Seeking Help for iPad SF mag

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wyneken, Mar 21, 2010.

1. wyneken macrumors regular

Inspired by a comment by MikhailT (macrumors 65816), I am excited by the idea of launching an SF & fantasy zine that would take full advantage of the possibilities of the iPad.

Story content would be no problem, nor (I think) would be finding novelists willing to serialize longer works. I can handle that part.

What we would need, off the top of my head:

• Someone to develop a dedicated iPad magazine app.

• A media editor, who would solicit and select original artwork, especially video content, and maybe music as well, to make the iPad experience more compelling (and more worth paying for).

• Possibly an investor to help us get this off the ground.

I am a longtime writer and winner of the Philip K. Dick Award. I can handle editorial tasks like seeking out talented writers with name recognition and spreading the word in the SF&F community. The technical aspects of making this happen on the iPad are beyond me.

My mundane name is Richard Grant and I can be reached at richard dot grant at gmail dot com. But please post thoughts and suggestions here. Crowd-sourcing might be very useful in this situation.

2. and.sleepless macrumors member

I think this is a great idea and I hope for the best.

EDIT: I also think it would best for a one time fee. It would be best for the artists (If you are looking for students and emerging artists)
    Another plus would be that the zine would most likely have a large audience

Bruce Brophy

3. Spudracer macrumors 6502

Why not? Something like the old Galaxy periodicals from the 50's & 60's would probably have an audience if you could get some big name writers into the mix. But writing short stories is a different animal from writing novels. It would be work to come up with say monthly publications containing quality content.

4. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Hi Richard - cool I didn't know you were a writer let alone a recognized one...

True, but on the other hand a one time fee would be a tough sell in terms of putting together the $ required to launch it (i.e how to sell the investors on it), to say nothing of the ongoing costs of running it.

Feels like there needs to be at least some modest ongoing revenue stream beyond additional new users. That universe is too finite. Maybe a yearly subscription?