EDU Discount for former student?...

slick316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
377
28
How does the EDU discount work? My friend wants to convert to Apple, and he noticed the student discount. He graduated from a University this May that offers the EDU discount. I know, I know, its not "ethical", but since he still has his student ID, can he walk into an Apple Store and walk out with a new iMac at the EDU price?
I told him he's going to get arrested and get the chair, didn't scare him for some reason :/
 

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
1,469
1
Bay Area
Well, the system is setup is for students and teachers, if he isn't either, then he can't get a discount. But I will tell you that they logged my info when I bought my PB.
 

slick316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
377
28
I figured that its not like going to the movie theater where they just want to see an ID. I don't think its a good thing to do, but he asked me to look into it.
I think I'll tell him to go ahead and do it, teach him a lesson :)
 

vashim66

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
98
0
If his student ID doesn't have an expiration date you're all set! Or just order from the apple online store.

Of course this is all unethical if he isn't a student anymore....but Apple doesn't make it hard at all for non-students to get the discount
 

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
1,469
1
Bay Area
vashim66 said:
If his student ID doesn't have an expiration date you're all set! Or just order from the apple online store.

Of course this is all unethical if he isn't a student anymore....but Apple doesn't make it hard at all for non-students to get the discount

I wouldn't encourage him or anyone to cheat the system. Otherwise Apple will either make it extremely complicated and annoying (Verifying every single purchase) or get rid of the discount all together, which hits the people who actually deserve it. Plus Apple can ask you to send them a fax verifying status...
 

slick316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
377
28
He's gonna buy it locally, from the Apple Store. He doesn't like credit cards and he has cash from some guns he sold.
So they don't check anything if you order it online? I can see how people can cheat the system, if its been this way for a while, I would assume Apple really doesn't care. If they really didn't want people to exploit the system, they would do something for verification online, or make the discount available at Apple Stores only, not online.
 

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
582
0
Denton, TX
slick316 said:
He's gonna buy it locally, from the Apple Store. He doesn't like credit cards and he has cash from some guns he sold.
So they don't check anything if you order it online? I can see how people can cheat the system, if its been this way for a while, I would assume Apple really doesn't care. If they really didn't want people to exploit the system, they would do something for verification online, or make the discount available at Apple Stores only, not online.
This is such ********. If you (your friend) want to cheat Apple by taking advantage of a program you (your friend) are not entitled to, do so without deluding yourself into believing it is not wrong, or that Apple doesn't care. Maybe they realize that the Apple Store Online is the only option many students have, and are trying to make the purchase a smooth process. Maybe they expect a bit of class and respect from their customers.
 

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
1,317
0
I live in a giant bucket!
Pretty much if you order from the online store they take your word for it. Though a select few get "audited" and they check to make sure you are activally enrolled in the school and give you a call.
I have heard (but cant say for certain) that if you go to the actual brick and morter store they DO make a copy of your id but I think it ends there.
So if you dont think you have a chance of receiving a call then its just a matter of ethics like stated before...
slick316 said:
He doesn't like credit cards and he has cash from some guns he sold.
Doesn't sound like the type to have that issue.
 

Chacala_Nayarit

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2005
315
0
Lakewood, Washington
Pay online to avoid paying taxes in your state! Now that's screwing the system that screws you! :D

Example: if my mom goes to the Apple Store in Seattle and buys an iMac 20" she is going to pay damn near 200.00 in taxes. I showed her how easy it was online. :)
 

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
571
0
Boise, ID
Chacala_Nayarit said:
Pay online to avoid paying taxes in your state! Now that's screwing the system that screws you! :D

Example: if my mom goes to the Apple Store in Seattle and buys an iMac 20" she is going to pay damn near 200.00 in taxes. I showed her how easy it was online. :)
Apple is really good at charging sales tax online. I think they always add on the tax of the state they ship to.

I even get charged sales tax on iTunes song purchases!
 

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
512
0
Chicago, IL
Verto said:
This is such ********. If you (your friend) want to cheat Apple by taking advantage of a program you (your friend) are not entitled to, do so without deluding yourself into believing it is not wrong, or that Apple doesn't care. Maybe they realize that the Apple Store Online is the only option many students have, and are trying to make the purchase a smooth process. Maybe they expect a bit of class and respect from their customers.
Amen brother. Morality and ethics are too sorely missed these days. :(
 

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
798
1
Chances are your friend, who graduated recently, still knows a few people who are still enrolled, and aren't mac users. Ask one of them to buy it - it deprives them of the right to buy another (for a year) and therefore, you are only partially "cheating" the system, if at all.
 

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
5,693
1
LaLaLand, CA
quackattack said:
I even get charged sales tax on iTunes song purchases!
I do in WA, but I wouldn't in CA. Only some states have tax on iTunes. All of them have taxes for the online store if your state has tax. You're in OR though, you shouldn't be paying any taxes.

Oh, and tell your friend to take a pottery class or something. That'll ease his guilt if he uses the discount.
 

SteveMcQ

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2005
56
0
Would anyone foresee a problem (ethically or technically) considering I'm applying for school this upcoming semester (I'm off this semester).

I do have a friend in class now, would it look odd for me to order it using my credit card and send in her info should they ask for confirmation?

I'd rather just order it under my name, but if me not being a student this semester proves a problem, I guess I'll have to find a way to solve it.
 

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
571
0
Boise, ID
solvs said:
I do in WA, but I wouldn't in CA. Only some states have tax on iTunes. All of them have taxes for the online store if your state has tax. You're in OR though, you shouldn't be paying any taxes.
Oops, was in Oregon. I need to change my profile. I'm in Idaho now.

It is interesting even when I was living in OR, I got charged tax because the billing address of my credit card was in ID.
 

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
1,210
13
Louisville, KY
Original poster:

Ignore all other posts in this thread, except mine.

In early August, I decided to get a new PowerBook. I had a couple questions, so I called Apple. While on the phone, the woman asked me why I was buying a new computer. I told her I had just graduated from college in May and wanted a new portable to replace my 4-year-old iBook. She then replied, "It's wonderful that Apple's student discount program continues up to six months after you graduate, isn't it?" My reply: "What?!" "Yes, you can still use the student discount up to six months after your graduation date. Consider it a graduation gift from us."

Tell your friend to order.
 

topgunn

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2004
1,454
1,236
Houston
RBMaraman said:
Original poster:

Ignore all other posts in this thread, except mine.

In early August, I decided to get a new PowerBook. I had a couple questions, so I called Apple. While on the phone, the woman asked me why I was buying a new computer. I told her I had just graduated from college in May and wanted a new portable to replace my 4-year-old iBook. She then replied, "It's wonderful that Apple's student discount program continues up to six months after you graduate, isn't it?" My reply: "What?!" "Yes, you can still use the student discount up to six months after your graduation date. Consider it a graduation gift from us."

Tell your friend to order.
I was told the same thing back in 2002.
 

juicedus

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2004
79
0
in a van down by the river
What if he still receives e-mails from the college; like mass e-mails. I gradated in May as well but every-time the college sends out a mass e-mail to seniors or anyone in engineering I still get them. I'd say if they still have you on record in the system, go for it.
 

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
3,512
8
Behind the lens
Ok check this scenario:

My dad is a high school teacher, and a complete newb when it comes to purchasing a new mac, he dropped of apples radar at about the LCIII.

So on my last trip a couple of months ago to see him, we decided to buy him a 17" iMac. He wanted it NOW and not from online, so we went to an apple store a few towns over.

Worked it all out and asked for the education discount, him being a teacher and all. But they wanted a way to confirm that, but how? He isnt part of the teachers union and even if he was, he wouldnt carry the stupid card. Soooo I used my student ID and got the edu discount "for him". I graduated 18 months ago.

Was this wrong? I doubt it. But in essence, the same as what is proposed by others here, mine was just a special exception.
 

slick316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
377
28
RBMaraman said:
Original poster:

Ignore all other posts in this thread, except mine.

In early August, I decided to get a new PowerBook. I had a couple questions, so I called Apple. While on the phone, the woman asked me why I was buying a new computer. I told her I had just graduated from college in May and wanted a new portable to replace my 4-year-old iBook. She then replied, "It's wonderful that Apple's student discount program continues up to six months after you graduate, isn't it?" My reply: "What?!" "Yes, you can still use the student discount up to six months after your graduation date. Consider it a graduation gift from us."

Tell your friend to order.
Thanks for that info, I'll let him know so he can add to his student loan debts, lol. I guess this is to allow those that graduate a chance at an Apple now that they might have a job and steady income.
I think he's going to get the new 20" iMac G5 and a BT Keyboard and Mouse.
Now, to upset some more people here, would it be unethical for me to have him buy me an iSight so that we can video chat with each other :)