Edu discount + free back to school ipod?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ls1dreams, Feb 9, 2011.

1. ls1dreams, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

ls1dreams macrumors 6502

Quick question:

Last year, when apple ran the get a free ipod with macbook back to school special, did customers also get the $100 off edu discount?

I'm looking at the MBP 13" ...

Right now it is $1200 - $100 discount = $1100

If I can get that discount PLUS a free ipod later I can sell the ipod for $200 for
    $1200 - $100 - $200 = $900.

(However, I'm not sure if they allow discounts to overlap like that)

Also, does anyone know if the edu discount can be applied to refurbs?

2. MACAPALOOZA macrumors member

I do believe that they gave the free ipod with the discount. I also think that they do allow the overlapping discounts because they really want people to buy the products, and if there is a really good deal, more people would want them.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, it's in addition to the education discount.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

And get that free printer while you are at it!

5. ls1dreams thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, that's definitely a killer deal, then. Too bad the DC jack on my laptop just died.

Can I possibly hold out 5-6 months on an ancient Athlon 1.8ghz desktop just to save a few more hundred?

Also, does anyone know if the edu discount can be applied to refurbs?

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Edu discount doesn't apply to refurbs, and I don't think the free iPod does either (it's either the iPod or the printer deal, I don't remember which).

BTW, if you have a Discover credit card and order online via the Discovercard site, you get 5% off on up to 5 items in any 30 day period. The "free" iPod and printer require that they be purchased, you actually get more than your money back. This all neglects any sales tax factors.

7. GLS macrumors 6502

Yep...and it applies to anyone (students, teachers, parents buying for students, etc). Schools, however....cannot participate in this....they get the Macbooks discounted, but no iPods....

8. perry.alekna macrumors newbie

Using the educational discount is actually required to get the free iPod.

i just got mine this past year. got the $100 off the computer. got the free printer, after rebate, and a free ipod, after rebate.

9. miabadboys macrumors member

miabadboys

That is exactly what we did last year, IT'S GREAT!! the free ipod program usually takes place around August - September

10. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

I would at least hold off until the new MBPs are available in the next month or two.

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

To be specific, it takes place just before the new models are released. :(

12. ls1dreams, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

ls1dreams thread starter macrumors 6502

From what I've read, it usually takes place around June. The ipods are dated at that point, but the MBP will only be 4 months old or so. (around 40% through a typical cycle). I have an iphone, and only plan on selling the ipod, so I don't really care if it is the old model, as long as I can get a couple hundred dollars out of an ebay sale.

Seems like a good deal.

I'm definitely waiting until at least March here for the new version... just deciding if it's worth waiting 5 months to save $200-300 more.

13. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Yes, you can get the free iPod at the start of summer (northern hemisphere). However last day of the free iPod deal is usually the day before the new iPods are released.

14. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    Sadly, they can't.

15. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

For the last few years the Back To School promotion has run from late May until early September. Last year specifically, the promo was from May 25 thru September 7, 2010.