Edu Discount makes high end 15" MBP easier UK

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wwe2008, Feb 24, 2011.

1. wwe2008 macrumors 6502

With the education discount you get with a NUS card (15% off listed on NUS website) then the high end 15" MBP is only £1,571.65 so thats about £20 extra for the better CPU. GPU etc. The online apple help says that the NUS is enough proof in store to get discount and so its quite a good deal

2. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

Hmmm this would mean a lot to me, Let me know if they accept the NUS in store as proof please.

3. nc26 macrumors newbie

does it have to be an NUS card? will any old uni id card work? in stores ofc

4. kopite19 macrumors regular

5. wwe2008 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes I just listed the 15% advertised, the online help would not tell what what discounts apply where. As for cards I think NUS, uni ID cards etc will be fine as long as you can prove that you are a student

6. Sarngate macrumors regular

7. wwe2008 thread starter macrumors 6502

so in store with a NUS card what discount will you get?

8. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

It varies as Apple staff are not sure of the rules! Some get 4% (normal students) some get the same 15% you get online. Luck of the draw!

The most important thing is this-

UK students purchasing online or over the phone through the education stores get a 3 year parts and labour warranty and standard, it is very similar to Applecare but doesn't include phone support. This is not the case in store.

9. superdudeo macrumors regular

This is not true, the discount is not arbitrary; the 15% is applicable in store for higher education students or a lesser percentage for other students. They only require minimal proof.
    Over the phone it's 14% for higher education but with the 3 year warranty as described. Also you might be able to get free printer over the phone too which I sold for £50.

10. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Sorry, I should have been clear- you are correct in that there are rules, I'm saying Apple staff often get them wrong!

As far as I am aware UK university students get ~15% off in store, UK college/school students get ~5%. The staff are usually good on this point I believe.

UK uni students don't get a 3 year warranty in store. However, some people are told they do get the 3 year warranty (one of my friends was, and had to correct him!), some people get charged ~£40 for Applecare (same price as online) and some get charged normal Applecare less the 15% discount.

The safest bet is simply to buy online/over the phone. Then you can just drag up the written T&Cs on the Apple website and it is in black and white!

11. wwe2008 thread starter macrumors 6502

well what proof is needed online/ over the phone. Is it just a case of scanning my card and sending it?

12. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

They do exactly that with some random people as a spot check, but not everyone. Online you have to be connected to your uni network- it checks the IP address.

13. wwe2008 thread starter macrumors 6502

ill do it over the phone! dont trust putting my details in to any computer but mine! So is it a different number I call for education and what sort of questions are asked? never ordered over the phone before let alone with edu discount! :D

14. MrMorris macrumors newbie

15. iStudentUK, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

The number is currently 0800 912 0207 (although that may be old so you could try 0800 072 1154). Just make sure you mention you are a student and which uni (99% are eligible, but there are a few odd ones that are not!). They may ask a few questions just to see what you want to do with it (it must be at least partly used for you to study). It isn't scary though- they want your money!

They may tell you that there is no 3 year warranty as standard as some Apple staff don't know the rules. However, the HE Contract does apply and it says so quite clearly here-

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/salespolicies_individualHE.html s.2.2, s.10.1.1

By the way, you don't have to be on a uni computer, connecting to their internet or via a VPN is usually enough.

EDIT- Please let me know if the first phone number works, I got it from s.2.2.2 of the T&Cs so I'm curious to see how up to date they are. Thanks!

16. davie18 macrumors regular

Everyone can get 3% off if they buy online by clicking on a link to the apple store from quidco.

So say it's £1,550, that makes a saving of £46.50. Not a huge amount but every penny counts!

17. Scorpia macrumors newbie

What happens if you use the education website and get 15% but you arent a student?

18. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

You have to be on the university network to purchase, an Apple do randomly check a few people by asking for proof of student status. There is a good chance they well never find out (not advocating it though!).

Worst case scenario- Apple find out and sue you for breach of contract, misrepresentation or fraud.

19. O.G.Q macrumors newbie

i just wanted to ask if you guys thought it was worth paying the extra £40 for the phone support do you really ever need it if you have the 3 year warranty ?

20. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Why bother with the phone when you have MacRumors? :D

I have never felt the need for it, any problem can be solved with Google or MR.

It does impact on resale value if you can foresee selling it within 3 years- saying you have X months Applecare left is very useful.