Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asencif

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
I have noticed that the education discount seems to be much cheaper in the store as the take 10% of the actual price then apply the tax. When you go online the education price is already fixed for you, for example...iMac 20'inch $1699 is set at $1599....10% of 1699 is not $1599. Has anyone else noticed? Do you prefer store or online?

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Well for me living in NJ and working in DE. I just do all my shopping in DE b/c there is no tax on anything I buy. But if I buy something in DE and have them deliver it for me they charge tax. Weird. I guess it's good to know a friend with a truck..... For me I like to buy something and play with it on the same day. I hate tracking the shipments. I get very inpatient. Right now I waiting on a box from UPS as we speak

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
The edu discount is not 10%. It's a set amount for each machine. For example, 15" Powerbooks are $200 off, while 17" Powerbooks are $300 off. iMacs are all $100 off, 12" iBook is $50 whereas 14" iBook is $100 off. The retail stores and the online store work for the same company and therefore have the same edu discount on hardware.

jocool5

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2005
Minnesota
There is a difference here!

Well as far as getting a discount goes just make sure that the macine is new/er. At the campus apple store here in minnesota they sell machines that are out of date. Meaning, when you pick it up there might me a rev c but they give you the rev b. I have noticed that allot with the stores, but that might happen online as well, I have never got an old product from the online store.
Joe

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
there is definitely a difference in the UK. For Mac hardware, you can typically expect 12-15% off. In the store I think it is 8%. A clear example is the 12" iBook costing £600 (rrp £700) as part of the NUS educational tie in. Thats 14.5% off. Get it in the store with your University ID or NUS card and it will cost you £640.

iLife is 28% off the RRP too, at £35. Same price for iWork. Bargain.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
MovieCutter said:
The edu discount is not 10%. It's a set amount for each machine. For example, 15" Powerbooks are $200 off, while 17" Powerbooks are $300 off. iMacs are all $100 off, 12" iBook is $50 whereas 14" iBook is $100 off. The retail stores and the online store work for the same company and therefore have the same edu discount on hardware.

This is the truth. I have bought a few machines in store with the wife's discount and the prices have ALWAYS been the same as the .EDU store. Only difference is you get it on the spot and walk out with the machine (assuming you don't want BTO).

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I've purchased accessories in the store for the iPod and computers. They give me 10% off some of those (I think ones branded with the Apple name only). But not on the actual computers. They give whatever the discount its.

yogamonkey

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2006
London
Does anyone know if the UK HE Online store gives a discount on .mac?

When I bought my iBook a couple of weeks ago the guy in the store offered me £20 off a subscription but I wasn't sure about it and turned it down. Now I've started the trial and quite like it I wondered if I could get it cheaper using the HE discount but I'm not back at uni until the 30th so can't access the website. If anyone tells me it's cheaper I'll wait, otherwise I'll just upgrade from home.

Thanks
Paul

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
I always shop at my university store instead of online. Their hardware prices are the same, but their (expensive) software usually is less than the edu discount online. I was able to get the Production Suite for $300, instead of $500 online, and I got $100 off the Adobe CS edu price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.