EDU Discount

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
3,070
3
Calgary, AB
Ok folks so I'm about to pull the trigger on a new PM. For some reason my mom in convinced that because I just graduated from college in June I'm still eligable for the educational discount. Although I personally disagree when i enter my student # on the apple.ca website it lets me into the educational store.

So what I'm wonder is what is the worse case senerio here if apple determines I do not qualify for the discount? Should I just expect the extra price to be tacked onto the card or am I looking at something worse?
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,400
489
NorCal
dornoforpyros said:
Ok folks so I'm about to pull the trigger on a new PM. For some reason my mom in convinced that because I just graduated from college in June I'm still eligable for the educational discount. Although I personally disagree when i enter my student # on the apple.ca website it lets me into the educational store.

So what I'm wonder is what is the worse case senerio here if apple determines I do not qualify for the discount? Should I just expect the extra price to be tacked onto the card or am I looking at something worse?
If you are not a student you do not qualify for the educational discount. However, Apple works on the honor system, so technically you can get the edu discount w/o being a student, but they can call the school you gave and verify that you go there or not. If you don't, I think you just have to pay the difference. To be safe, do the right thing. If you're not a student, don't go for the edu price. If you are a student, then by all means do :)
 

chanoc

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2003
339
0
Anchorage, Alaska USA
tech4all said:
If you are not a student you do not qualify for the educational discount. However, Apple works on the honor system, so technically you can get the edu discount w/o being a student, but they can call the school you gave and verify that you go there or not. If you don't, I think you just have to pay the difference. To be safe, do the right thing. If you're not a student, don't go for the edu price. If you are a student, then by all means do :)
Yeah Apple could call my school, but my school will not release information about students. Seriously doubt Apple would call. I buy off the education store frequently, and have not enrolled for two years. :eek:
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,400
489
NorCal
chanoc said:
Seriously doubt Apple would call.
I have read on these forums where Apple has called to verify.

I buy off the education store frequently, and have not enrolled for two years. :eek:
Well that is your business but IMO it is dishonest. One day Apple may catch on (if they haven't already), and end it's educational discount program which would hurt people who really are eligible for the discount. One person can ruin it for thousands.
 

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
3,070
3
Calgary, AB
Yeah I decided to take the honest route on this one. I mean sure it's 300 bucks but whatever, when I bought my iPod the idiot at the store accidently charged me for a 20 gig when I was getting a 40 so I'm really just playing about 160 more if ya take that blunder into consideration.
 

TheSith

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2004
106
0
tech4all said:
I have read on these forums where Apple has called to verify.



Well that is your business but IMO it is dishonest. One day Apple may catch on (if they haven't already), and end it's educational discount program which would hurt people who really are eligible for the discount. One person can ruin it for thousands.
I totally agree. I asked for help a bit on the educational discount on another fansite and was appalled to see how many people recommended I "cheat" the system..

I guess everyone has different morals. According to what I've seen, the educational discount is a type of honors system - but I heard they do random checks, such as asking you to fax certain school information, or calling you regarding your purchase.

I just ordered on Tuesday from the Apple Store and got the educational discount. My grandmother lives an hour away and was prepared to give me all of her information. It didn't even ask for her name. I will give if it is needed, but I still can't believe that so many people are encouraging others to lie, be dishonest, and just totally degrade your morals for money.
 

shane-o-mac

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
130
0
To answer your question:

The obvous is out of the way, no you are not a student and do not qualify for the discount.

Under macs agreement on the website it clearly states that Apple will bill the form of payment on file for any difference in discount if you do not qualify. However, Apple also states that verification is at random. The gist is, if your honest you have nothing to worry about.....mmm..thank goodness I am still a poor college student :eek:
 

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
421
1
I graduated in June as well and went to the apple store a few weeks ago to purchase an iMac. The salesperson asked if I was a student and I said that I had graduated in the summer and they said that was good enough for them and I got the discount.

Probably wasn't what they should've done, but they offered and I wasn't going to argue :)


allison.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.