Edu Pricing: Does it matter who pays?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zim, Feb 13, 2008.

1. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I am going to buying an iMac for my brother this weekend, he is a student. Does anyone know if Apple will honor his educational discount if I pay, he will be there with his ID just not sure if it matters where the money comes from.

Thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Online there will be zero problem, in person it may be difficult. Explain it to the salesman and they may require a phone call to him. Yes you can pay, but he really should be with you.

TEG

3. zim thread starter macrumors 65816

zim

I didn't think it would be a problem, money is money, what matters is who the computer is going to be purchased for. Thanks.

He will be there with me. We will be going out for lunch and then to the Apple store (he does not know yet). I could take the money out and hand him cash but that's a lot of cash be to walking around with.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

As long as he is there, anyone can pay. The other respondent was from the UK where they have different rules.

TEG

5. zim thread starter macrumors 65816

zim

Ah, didn't know that UK was different. So yes, he will be there, can't wait to see the reaction on his face :)

Thanks for the fast replies, now to make arrangements for lunch.

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

If the computer is for him as you say, then there is no problem. If you were using his discount to buy a computer for yourself, that would not be ethical.

7. R-41157 macrumors member

Im in the UK and should be buying from a store next weekend, my dad will be paying initially but it will be for me. Will this be a problem then? My dad will be with me obviously, and I will have student ID and acceptance letter!

8. cwheatley macrumors member

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I'm not sure, as the only response we got was "No" buy I'm not sure if that mean "No Problem" or "No you can't". I suggest calling the store and asking.

TEG

10. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

My local Apple store did it for me. My sister is a teacher so she came along with her teachers license (they did need to see it and photocopy it), and I paid the bill with my credit card. They didn't seem to care, they certainly weren't going to pass up on a sale that's for sure.

So the answer is Yes.