Edu. Student Discount & ADC Student Discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gymnut, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Okay, I am stuck in a quandry. I'll be attending the Academy of Art University in San Francisco this fall as a Motion Pictures & Television major and will be purchasing a new computer, preferably a Macbook pro, sometime between now and then. I'm more inclined to wait after NAB and WWDC and that is perfectly fine with me.
    The top of the line 15" Macbook Pro at varying costs:

Retail: $2,499(US)
    Edu: $2,299(US)
    Student ADC: $1,999(US) (I'm already a member)

Now I haven't even considered the 17" model because I already have a Pelican hardcase that has survived Iraq and back and kept my 15" Powerbook safe, but after seeing the price breakdown?

Macbook Pro 17":

Retail $2,799(US)
    Edu: $2,599(US)
    Student ADC: $2,239(US)

So, in effect, the 17" Macbook Pro at the Student ADC discount would be cheaper than the 15" Macbook Pro(2.33GHz) with the education discount.
    Now, I probably wouldn't even consider purchasing an external monitor to accompany me in the event I purchased the 15" MBP based on the sole reason I do not want to have to worry about lugging something extra up to school. Bear in mind I'm in Hawai'i so it's not a simple hop skip and a jump with all my gear in tow.
    I'm guessing I'll have to visit my local CompUSA or Apple store to see the 17" MBP in person to get a guage of the size and portability. I'm still leaning toward the 15" MBP although with the ADC discount, is the 17" MBP priced at $2,239(US) too good to pass up?

2. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

It's funny you talk about considering the 17", because I just had a thread asking the same thing: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=294766 Some great posts there about the reality of having a 17" (it's not that bad after all!).

I have a question for you: the ADC membership is $99, right? You get Leopard, developer builds, and a one-time discount to make the computer $2239? That is a DEAL, my friend. I am going to make that purchase now...

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

As a student developer you do NOT get developer builds or Leopard (officially anyway, they have sent out OS though in the mailings, but only upgrade discs and well after the OS had been released).

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'm not sure what the relevance of comparing the 17" ADC price to the 15" EDU price is...you can buy either machine at the ADC price, so that's what you should be comparing. They're both a 20% discount off retail...the 17" discount is a few dollars more because it's slightly more expensive to begin with. Both ADC prices are terrific deals.

You should buy whichever machine you think you need. If you like the 17", buy it. But don't upgrade to it just because you get a few more bucks off...the 15" is a steal at this price, too.

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I have a 17" - jumped from 12" for my last 2 laptops. This weighs about the same it seems - just is bigger (Sony and iBook). I don't find it that big - i traveled with it in the Incase Sling pack over a long weekend and it was easy to "lug" and fly with. I've been doing photo work in Aperture and Photoshop today and find the screen a nice size. I wouldn't turn down that 23" ACD if someone wanted to give it to me though - but i'm not counting my pennies for one either.

I don't know how much other gear you will have to carry with you though. A friend is going to Hallmark (Photography School) and opted for the 15"+23" ACD because of everything ELSE she has to carry with the laptop. Gives her what she needs at school, and at home she is set too.

It's a personal preference - but seriously, i don't regret getting the 17". That said, i don't have to go back and forth to school. I wish I was going to photography school - but alas, that will have to wait until the kids leave the nest! :D

Congrats on the school - although i'd rather stay in Hawaii than have to live back in CA :D (hey, i'm a CA native - i can say that, 3 years gone and don't miss it a bit! LOL!!!).

Tracey

6. Gymnut thread starter macrumors 68000

Gymnut

http://developer.apple.com/products/student.html. It is a pretty good deal although WildCowboy does make a good point and even the 15" model(2.33) is a steal at $1999. The only thing hanging me up in purchasing the 17" model is the inherent lack of sleeves and cases. I've already got a Pelican hardcase that will accomodate a 15" MBP and I'd hate for this to be relegated to the closet should I purchase a 17" MBP.
    If I do opt for the 15" model, I guess I could consider purcashing this, http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4688. The 20" Apple Display, even at $539 ADC is a tad out of my price range when factoring AppleCare on top of the cost of the Macbook Pro. Thanks for everyone's advice and input!