Educate me on drag and drop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HyperX13, Jan 8, 2010.

1. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

I will come off as a total noob here and I apologize.

Since I put on Snow Leopard and can't use contextual menu's FileCutter, I am having a hell of a time dragging and dropping files. Let me explain. I have a NAS folder full of folders. Each folder is a date. So Jan2009, Feb2009, etc. There are 100+ folders. When I drag a new folder into the NAS folder, I ALWAYS end up accidentally dragging the new folder into some sub folder instead of the root. The filecutter was a perfect tool for me to cut and paste files. Anyone have any ideas where to drop a file, once a folder is open, and make sure that file ends up in the root and not some sub folder?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I usually drag it to either a white space or to the column headers ("Name", "Date Modified", etc). There should be a highlight around the root directory window, that's when you drop it.

3. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, so the space to the right of the date modified, size, and Kind. I expanded the window and that seems to work. Thanks. :)

4. gavin83209 macrumors regular

You can also drag the folder to the icon of the disk on your desktop and it will copy into the root layer.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

When I'm copying large numbers of folders around, I have 2 finder windows open. In one window, I navigate to the intended destination folder, then double click it so it is the current folder. I then right click the folder(s) I want to copy and pick copy. I then go to the MENU on the other finder window and pick paste. There is no chance of me accidentally dropping files in the wrong whitespace next to the wrong thing. It always always always works. This is one thing I liked about windows explorer over Finder. I could drag things to the folder tree in the leftmost window and they would normally go where I expected them to go. Every now and then I would "miss" but I find that if "miss" all the time using finder, hence the need to use 2 windows and use the edit->paste command in the destination folder.

6. jbuk macrumors regular

Go into Finder's preferences and increase the delay for spring-loaded folders and windows, or even disable them completely.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Or you can use Path Finder and cut/paste files :D