Educate Me Regarding Cellular on an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Trvlngnrs, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

I'm looking at purchasing a used iPad Air 2 with cellular. I have a couple questions....

Is there a SIM card that I can swap out when I go to another country?

Does the GPS work if I'm not connected to a cellular provider, if I don't sign up for service, or if I am in another country and haven't swapped the SIM card?

Thanks,
    Trvlngnrs

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The GPS is independent of the SIM/Celluar. Its just that they include the GPS components in the cellular equipped iPad.

I don't have a sim card in my iPad and I still can use the GPS.

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Yes you can swap out the SIM card when you go to another country. iPads are unlocked so they are not tied to a specific cellular provider. Also the Apple SIM which you can pick-up at the Apple Store allows you to connect to several different providers including GigSky for other countries besides the United States. http://www.apple.com/ipad/apple-sim/

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, you can swap out the SIM card when you go overseas BUT be aware that getting a prepaid SIM isn't always an easy task and can be time consuming. If you are staying in one country it might be worth the effort but if you are going to multiple countries in the course of a week or two it can get annoying.

ATT has an International plan. It's not the cheapest solution but is a time saver and the cost isn't too outrageous given the convenience.

Apple started with its universal SIMs with the Air 2 but I tried it in London and the carrier (via the iPad carrier set up) would not take a U.S. credit card. It's ashamed because that would be a killer feature.

Yes, GPS works w or w/o an active SIM.