Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ktmitch05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
UK
I have just been looking at buying a MBP for uni next yr and i rang apple asking how much apple care would be they said £230 but on high education it would cost about £58. So i'm going to wait until i can get this. But i have just been looking on the site again tonight (cant stop looking at them and jst desperate for a MBP as im wanting to switch from windows) and it had an option under Apple Care for EMEA CC-HE Contract uplift MBP/PB. and i just wondered if anyone knows what this means???

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Machines purchased through the UK HE store have a standard three-year hardware-only warranty, as opposed to the one-year warranty on machines purchased through other channels. The uplift offering for £58 upgrades that standard warranty to the same level AppleCare would give you on a one-year warranty machine. It extends the phone support from 90 days to three years and ads the benefit that Apple will pick up your machine from you if it needs servicing.

ktmitch05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
UK
cheers! i dont understand though why i can choose this option even though im just on the normal education store NOT HE. Because i was told on the phone to get this needed to use the HE discount so i will have to wait till i get my results in august? any thoughts???

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
The £58 uplift extends the 3 year hardware warranty only as far as uplift and delivery of faulty and fixed hardware, respectively.

The 3 year hardware only warranty requires you to pay for shipping to and from Apple if anything goes wrong.

Technically, you don't need to wait to use the HE discount - because most of the time Apple UK don't check your credentials. However, it would be best to wait.

You need to watch out, however - the £58 Uplift package can only be purchased at the same time as your Mac, if I remember correctly.

The £230 AppleCare package is the only one that includes repair, uplift/delivery and telephone support for the full three year period.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
This has been/is being discussed at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/305453/

People who have asked Apple what the difference between the 3-year warranty and Applecare is, have been told slightly different things (e.g. my brother was told that the only difference was that Applecare gives you global coverage), which has led to a bit of frustration...

I reckon bigandy is on the money on this one. One poster on the thread suggested that if there's an Apple Centre near you, there's less advantage with the uplift as you can always drop it off there as he did.

You need to watch out, however - the £58 Uplift package can only be purchased at the same time as your Mac, if I remember correctly.

Yup, dead right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.