Education discount eligibility

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oldcelt, Aug 22, 2016.

1. oldcelt macrumors 6502

hi. I'm the secretary of the operating committee of a UK preschool. Would I be eligible for an education discount for a laptop used for committee business in addition to personal use?

2. 960design macrumors 68020

Submit your paystub to Apple Education. They will decide. If the paystub mentions a named school district, you should have not problems.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I usually bring in my ID that shows I qualify, but I've never been asked :cool:

4. 960design macrumors 68020

Sure wish Apple would put a store near me. I have to drive about 5.5 hours to get to the nearest Apple Store... so everything is online for me.

5. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I've worked in education for the past 25 years and I've bought most of my Macs with the educators discount. To the best of my recollection, I've never been asked for evidence or proof of my employment status.

6. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

It may have changed, but when I got educational discount status around 2006 or so (can't remember exactly) the only verification I had to give was an .edu email address (which I had).

7. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

In my experience, it's done totally on the honor system. If your purchase in an Apple brick/mortar store, you may be asked for proof. In my experience, I have never been asked for proof. You can also purchase online using the Education site without any proof, and if you order over the phone, all you have to do is tell them you want the education discount.

8. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

That qualifies. Just buy it online, they don't ask for any proof. Sometimes though refurbished products are a better deal.

9. JonnyBlaze macrumors regular

Or call up. I have a really quite tenuous link to 'education', and wanted to check that I was ok to get the discount. When I called and explained and they said it was fine and asked me to email over proof that I worked where I do.

10. oldcelt thread starter macrumors 6502