Education discount + finance. Possible online?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KumaYama, Feb 24, 2011.

1. KumaYama macrumors member

Can I pay a lump sum online, with an educational discount and still get finance on the remainder?

Might have accidentally told the in-store staff I am a lecturer, not a student, which only entitles me to 6% discount, not 15%. I need the 15%!!

Am I able to use my staff number as a student number if I am 'doing a PHd' therefore my card says 'staff'.

Ta. Concerned.

2. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

3. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

I ordered student online and they never asked for verification ... I really AM a student. Just thought that was odd

4. DaftZombie macrumors member

I guess they only check a certain percent of buyers, get caught though and you're screwed.

5. KumaYama thread starter macrumors member

Did you use a campus computer to order it? It won't allow me to access Education discount prices unless I'm logged on at work.

Sorry to be a dunce. Just to confirm. I can pay a lump sum, say £800 up front, then finance the rest, all online and with the 15% student discount?

The extra % makes a huge difference.

P.S. No actual units instore in Newcastle, UK. Expecting them in a 'couple of days'.

6. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

Nope I used my parents pc

Idk about the rest.

7. iStudentUK, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

You need to be at uni or on a VPN to get the full ~15% off. Or you can call the special number on the website when you press 'education'.

Academic employees of UK universities are entitled to 15% off online or over the phone. Also remember UK students/staff members get a 3 year parts and labour warranty as standard online or over the phone, which is basically Applecare without the phone support.

See here- http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/salespolicies_individualHE.html specifically s.2.1 and s.10.1.1.

8. DaftZombie macrumors member

I don't think it works quite like you're putting it, but yeah you can. When you buy it you do so with the credit card issued for financing. So once you buy it you can make a payment of 800 onto the credit card.

9. KumaYama thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Just to update. I ordered one online for the full discount (plus they only had the base models in store). Just stuck it all on my credit card. Luckily I have the funds to pay it off. Might make saving for my holiday interesting! It'll arrive mon-wed. Just need to secure some software now!

10. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

Heres my suggestion if you plan on financing it.

Go to Best Buy - Apply for the Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard. 18 months interest free. PLUS you gain points for that purchase that would equate to some extra Reward Zone gift certificates to use. PLUS they will price match the discount. And in my opinion from experience Geek Squad Black Tie Protection Plan is a much more solid protection than Apple Care - especially the Accidental Care plan.

Best of luck!:p