Education Discount for international Student card

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by demontux, Jun 12, 2012.

1. demontux macrumors newbie

Hey all, i'm a design student from Israel and i want to buy the new macbook pro with retina display.

my brother is flying to San Francisco and attending to Google I\O event, i want him to purchase for me the new thin macbook pro.

can he buy for me at the apple store and show my student card and buy for me the new macbook pro with the student discount ? i study in israel but i do have an ISIC international student card, what does exactly do my brother have to show in the store so i could get the discount? do i need any extra paper or ISIC student card is enough ? (maybe permission to buy on my behalf ?)

another question is what is the regular student discount ? is the 200$ off the mac + 100$ for the appstore ? or its just for special schools ? i just want to make sure ill get the discount because i want the 512GB SSD version with 16GB ram and without the discount its really expensive :( and boy... when the mac will be avilable in israel it will cost almost twice then in USA.

is it even possible to get a tax free return for non US citizens ?

thank you so much in advance,
    means a lot :)))

2. demontux thread starter macrumors newbie

3. wmage macrumors member

Hi!

I think it depends on the seller. When I was buying a Mac for myself, my ISIC was enough for the discount.

But I think they need a photo ID, so having your brother do it doesn't sound like it will work. (But I didn't try.)

He can also ask some US student to buy for you.

The discount is 10%.

4. demontux thread starter macrumors newbie

in appple.com when i choose the education store its 200$ off the macbook pro retina. if i give him a photo ID or an agreement that he is my family member and buying it on my behalf it should work ? are you sure its just 10% or it depends on school and stuff ? and i was wondering if i want the ram to be 16GB, can i just come to the store and grab one with 16GB ? or you have to pre-order it and they dont have those configuration already in the store.
    in my counter the premium reseller sell the basic version for 2950$
    and the 512SSD version with 2.6 CPU for 3750$ (without ram upgrade!)

its insane... so i want to make sure i can have the cheapest price i can get

thanks again