Education discount: How do they check my credentials?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bollweevil, Oct 23, 2013.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

I just bought a new rMBP on the Apple Store website using the education discount. All I had to do was click "education store" and then place my order. When does the credential checking occur, and how do they check? I really hope it doesn't slow down the processing of my order.

Last time I bought an MBP (in 2011), I did so at a brick and mortar store so they asked to see my university ID. Simple enough.

FYI, I am a university lecturer. I also have a nearly full-time software engineering job, and the latter pays a whole lot better. Teaching is basically a labor of love for me.

2. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

They've never checked anything for me online.

3. antseg macrumors member

I don't want to open the flood gates on this, but I definitely had the same concerns. It is really a trust thing. They don't check.

They never check your credentials. I asked a couple Apple store employees about this and they confirmed. I thought you would have to use your .edu email but you still get the discount if you do. You also never have to send them anything.

In stores you may have to show them a school ID. I didn't try in stores.

4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

They don't check online. I ordered and I'm not even a student. Anybody can use it.

5. purplekush604 macrumors member

I called in yesterday purchased a macbook with education discount and no verification was needed

6. Broric macrumors regular

There are different levels of education discount. If you order from your university campus network you get a bigger discount (maybe participating universities only).

I'm a researcher at a UK University and I got £330 off the 15" dpu rMBP.

7. simondonnely macrumors newbie

In the UK if we order from a campus computer the disocunt is added and we also get 3 years worth of repairs free but only from the online store

8. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh sh** I should have checked if that was the case. Let me check now.

----------

After Broric suggested it, I did some Googling and found that my university does offer special discounts on the Apple online store, above and beyond the education discount.

However, the extra discounts don't apply to any of the computers that launched yesterday, it seems. The 2.3 GHz 15-inch rMBP is still $2,399, which is the normal education price.

The 13-inch non-Retina, which launched a long time ago, is $1,199 with no discount, $999 with standard education discount, and $849 for my university.

I wonder if it takes them time to assign a new lower price to my university? Anyhow, I saved as much money as possible, given that I am impatient. I will check back in 2 months to see if my university gets an even bigger discount.

9. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I'm currently away from my university campus and have a print out of the on-campus prices for the previous gen. Stupidly, I didn't record the original prices (didn't see the price drop coming.) Does anyone have the non-discounted prices of these 13" models so that I can calculate the % off on campus? If it's more than the discount I can get over the phone, I'll probably travel up there to order.

Thanks

10. chakdey macrumors regular

I ordered the 15 inch, 2.3, 16gb, 1tb, and got $250 off with the education discount :D

11. Gherkin macrumors 6502

I believe basically they don't check everyone but they may check you out.

so yea you might be able to con Apple, but they may also catch you.

12. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

Someone from Apple is currently on your college campus and going over all of your transcripts and other relevant information at the registrar's office. Anything nefarious they find about your character will be subsequently forwarded to the proper authorities. Now would probably be a good time for you to dust off that passport and prepare to flee. Halloween is right around the corner and a Richard Kimble costume would help you blend in and avoid notice on your travels.