Education Discount in UK...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acearchie, Jun 8, 2008.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ok I couldnt really understand this from the apple store.

In the UK it is a legal requirement to go to school until you finish your academic year as a 16 year old. Basically do your GCSE's after that you go to a collage to do your a levels....

I am at the stage now where I am mid GCSE's and after that I will be continuing at my school but to do my A-levels...

Will I be eligible for the student discount? In my opinion (I dont know the exact legislation) but A-levels to me count as higher education so can I get the discount?!

Also is this then VAT Deductable or is this simply the price minus the VAT... I only say this as my mum is a teacher and she can then claim back the VAT as she is using it for her business...

Thanks!

2. sananda macrumors 68020

as far as i know, higher education (in normal english usage) means tertiary education whereas you are in secondary education. i guess if you weren't doing your a levels at school but at a college you might be in further education.

someone else will no doubt tell you whether you are entitled to the education discount but it doesn't seem you're entitled to the higher education discount.

and i don't see why VAT wouldn't be payable.

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Well you see I have to get good GCSE's to get in. So it is like joining a separate collage.

Whether you are located in the UK I don't know, but I am currently in secondary education and I assumed that when I start A levels I would be starting my tertiary education! Anyway anyone could clarify?!

THanks

4. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

5. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

You can definitely get student discount once you are in Year 12 (6th Form). That's what I did when I bought my MacBook. I showed them my NUS card, and that was it.

6. sananda macrumors 68020

why don't you try for the higher education discount anyway. if they say no, take the education discount (as tom b says you can definitely get that).

you'll have to call them for the higher education discount it's only available on the web via higher education institutions.

7. 36183 Guest

do you have a member of family who is currently at university ?

8. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

No but my mum works at a collage for 19+ age students, it simply doesnt have "university status"

I was unaware that there are two education discounts. What are the differences between the two?

Thanks

9. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

I told you..

10. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

You cannot get discount without a student card, which you must be at collage for.

Please prove me wrong.... lol

Your mum, as a teacher can get the discount though.

11. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

6th Form is the same as college. As long as you get a Student Card at your 6th Form College, you'll be fine. If not, you'd need some form of letter from your 6th Form to prove student status.

6th Form and Colleges qualify for "Education Discount" which is 8-9% off the prices. The Education store can be accessed from your home pc/mac.

Universities and University Colleges (Uni's without the uni status) qaulify for "Higher Education Discount" which is 14-16% off the prices. The HE store can only be accessed from a University or University College campus network (i.e. you'd have to be using their computers).

Also, the HE store only has selected institutions which can receive the discount, whereas the Edu store allows you to manually enter the name and location of your school/college.

Hope this helps.

12. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

on the apple store, you can enter anything in the two boxes to get into the edu store.

13. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

You have to go to college, not collage. And you, i mean literally. :)

14. stevedave50 macrumors newbie

there are two different levels of interest. when i go onto the education store while on the university network, the level of discount is higher, than when i go onto the store at home.
    back when i ordered my mbp, i did it over the phone and got the extra discount by telling them what university i was at. not sure if they check this or not though.
    worked out well, got quite a bit off of my mbp and applecare was only £60, oh and a free printer after rebate, took a while to get the rebate though.

15. Lunja macrumors 6502

Lunja

Acearchie - just give the Apple UK store a call :) They'll guide you through the discounts for which you are eligible, and advise you on the discount that your mum would be entitled to.

Also, when you are ready to buy, go to quidco.com, and after signing up, click through quidco's link. You'll then earn an extra 3% (I think) back on the amount you've spent ;)

PS: Before buying ANY Apple product on a discount, check the refurb store to see if the same product is there. Sometimes even greater price cuts can be found. And if you've gone through quidco, you still earn your cashback. Kerching! :cool: