Education discount macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by neverland19, Dec 3, 2010.

1. neverland19 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was going to get my aunt (who is in college) to buy a mac for me using her educational discount.

I was just wondering, if she pays for it with her card, does the computer automatically get registered in her name, or is the registration a process that only happens when I turn on the computer for the 1st time?

If I was to call up apple with some kind of problem, when giving my name, would I have to pretend to be her?

Thanks

2. barrettj macrumors newbie

Nope - once the sale is made they never need to know it wasn't her using the computer. You can set it up with all your information.

The only time she might need to be involved is if there was some need to return it (which may not even be the case, I haven't actually had to return something).

3. electrolux76 macrumors member

The registration occurs when you fill out the registration form at the machine's 1st launch. You would have no problem warranty or otherwise. I should say that I haven't made an edu purchase in a few years now, but I don't think anything has changed. Also, I took a look at Apple's edu sales terms (I'll link below) and didn't see anything specifically disallowing transfer of ownership of the machine. Hope that helps, enjoy your new Mac.
    http://storeimages.apple.com/1776/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespoliciesEdIndividual.html