Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
I've got a brother and a sister both currently in KSU and both have offered to use the education discount to purchase a new MBP for my first computer.

Moral dilemma: Am I being shady by using this? Is this even allowed? Every penny helps in this economy but I'm not in school. Very cool of them to do this but I certainly don't want any trouble...

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
If you're younger than they are (ie a student, but not in college yet) then I don't really think this goes against the spirit of using the discount.

If you're older and have a job, etc... then I don't think its quite the same.

That being said, many people do it.

opera57

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
You might as well go for it. They are entitled for it, and there isn't exactly any rules against it. Enjoy the discount while you can!
signature_apple2.jpg

colickyboy

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2008
It is immoral if they're using your money to pay for it and you're simply taking advantage of a discount that's not offered to you.

It's not immoral if they're paying for it with their own money and then give the MBP to you as a free gift.

Justifying loopholes is why politics (and lawyers) are so corrupt. Of course there's something wrong with it.

Just b/c other people do it doesn't give you permission to do it. Other people murder but that doesn't mean you should go murder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.