Education Discount on 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AaronChiles, Jun 3, 2008.

1. AaronChiles macrumors newbie

I was wondering if my education discount would work on the new 3G iPhone? At either the Apple or AT&T store. Also, if I have an existing AT&T line can I just buy the phone and add the data plan and not Re-up my contract? I'm going to study in Australia in July and really don't feel like having a whole 2 years added onto my contract.

Thanks!

2. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

just unlock it and add a normal data plan... then you can use it in australia too..

3. AaronChiles thread starter macrumors newbie

Any thoughts about the education discount?

I'll probably set it up as a GoPhone to use it until the Unlockers work their magic. Thanks for the help so far.

4. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

apple currently doesn't give ed. discounts on iphones, doubt it'll change

5. AaronChiles thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I needed to hear...a quick 1 mile trip to the AT&T store instead of the 5 mile trip to the Apple store. Thanks!

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sorry, but no such thing with the iPhone. I can't even receive my corporate 25% discount on anything iPhone. If you have a non-iPhone on the account, have that phone become your primary account line, then you would qualify for the corporate discount. I don't see anything changing in the immediate future. :(

7. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I see that you're from Raleigh as well.

Not sure if you're considering a release day purchase, but I went to the Crabtree Mall Apple store last time. I swung by the AT&T store at North Hills, but it had a line around the corner and I was worried about their stock.

Crabtree was fun. It was a decent line, but I was in and out in under 40 minutes and I showed up right as they were opening. Plus they were giving out free coffee and water to everyone. There were even employees from the food court walking the lines selling cheap smoothies.

8. AaronChiles thread starter macrumors newbie

First I'm gonna go to the AT&T store off of Walnut St. because it is so close to me, and then Crabtree if I need to. Apple Store at Crabtree always seems like they know what they are doing. The line was pretty long for the Leopard release, but it went pretty quick.

9. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Chance of an educational discount are virtually none, imo

10. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Protip to everyone: He's talking about a discount AT&T gives you on your plan, not on the hardware.

iPhone plans aren't usable with FAN accounts. For a long time (recently sold it) I had an iPhone and I just used it with my FAN account through my university, and added on a $15 unlimited MediaNet plan and some texting. Unlocked the phone and it worked like a charm, only thing was it didn't have visual voicemail, but a small price to pay in my opinion.

11. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

My educational discount didn't work on the current iPhone, so I doubt it will change with the 3G.

All in all, if you think about it...why would an educational discount apply? I can think of really good reasons for the other stuff like Apple software or the Macintoshs.

But a phone that basically contributes nothing to education? =/.

Maybe the discount can apply to the Apple software in AppStore, though.

12. Fireman52SFD macrumors member

i received a discount on my 8g through apple because im a city employee. it wasnt much but i was very appreciative.

13. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I'm hoping they will apply a discount to the new phone for corporate employees as well.

14. andrewlb3 macrumors newbie

Wait, how did you get a get a discount through apple? because I am a city employee as well, and any help on discounting this money pit of a gadget would be nice..

15. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

You might want to see if the iPhone is released in Australia. Rumors are it might be sold unlocked there.

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yeah, tell all please! Let's see, I'm a retired city employee and an active state employee, but I can't use my corporate discounts on anything iPhone. I can use my corporate discounts on my total AT&T combined bill by using a non-iPhone as my primary line, but still no discounts on anything iPhone. :(

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Hilarious! I wish I could get that on my Avatar along with "No iPhonies" with a red circle and a diagonal line (Don't Like). :p

18. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

Are you just doing a study abroad or will you be down there long enough to hold a contract?

Otherwise no one really know the future state of the unlock on 3g's. So if you are planning to get a 3g and unlock it, it would be better not to put your eggs in one basket. But if you are just going for a semester and the phone can't be unlocked then put your ATT account on hold for that semester.

And no you can't get a discount on iPhones.

19. AaronChiles thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to try and get a GoPhone here, and then get some sort of prepaid plan over in Australia too. I have faith in the unlockers out there. I have a feeling the iPhone over in Australia will be insanely expensive, all electronics are over there.

20. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

no way! they didn't discount the first iPhone. iPod's aren't discounted. There are some items that do not apply to the Education Discount.