education discount online?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jht, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Jht macrumors member

Lo all, I'm looking at buying a macbook or iMac to replace my mini which I've just ebayed off, anyways I went in to the apple store last week just looking around and I asked the sales guy about education discounts as I'm at college. He did told me I get a 11% discount on macbooks and a 12% discount on imacs he said it differed depending on what college you study at. Anyways I was just about to order a macbook and noticed the apple edu store doesn't give me that much of a discount, is the 11/12% discount not available online or do I have to go to the apple store? O ye I'm in the UK if it helps :)

2. Kermit the frog macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

all i know is when u go into the mac store they ask for your school ID

3. Jht thread starter macrumors member

O bol***** just rang the online store, apparently the guy at the apple store told me the wrong amount, its not 11%, o well.

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

That did seem a little high...

I've been curious as to how ordering online works myself, I would assume they phone you up after the order to check you have a student ID number (I am in HK and that's what they do when you phone them up, just quote the number).

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

JHT, the regular Edu Store saves you around 8% - it varies with products.

The bigger savings are at the Higher Education Store - despite what some people claim, it's not just university students and staff who are entitled to these discounts. Certain colleges and other HE institutions are included - in Bristol even one of the City Academy schools are included.

To check if you're entitled or to buy, you need to visit http://apple.procureweb.ac.uk/ from your college's network or call 0800 039 1010.

Doing it this way, saves you roughly 17.5% - an entry MB is £601. Also you get an extended limited warranty for 3 years thrown in and upgrading that to Applecare is dirt cheap.

6. Jht thread starter macrumors member

Well I'm on study leave at the mo but I rang them and was told college's don't get that much discount but the assistant in the store actually went away and checked what the discount was for my college, not too bothered just about to order a macbook at the regualr edu discount.

7. Igantius macrumors 65816

'kay - it's always best to check because the HE discount saves you an extra £50-80 on MBs compared to the usual edu discount, and 3-year Applecare just £65.

So together, it's an extra £200+ saving over the usual edu discount.

8. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Depending on your educational institution, the discounts can be huge. A friend received 18% off in education discount a few months ago. You need to speak with someone, though, either in store or over the phone, to get the best benefits. Ordering online gives a standard 9-10% (that's inc. AppleCare - sometimes less without it).

9. Igantius macrumors 65816

10. macfriend1 macrumors regular

11. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

hey, my cousin is doin his masters at SUNY new paltz , can anyone tell me how much discount will he be gettin at the store , the online store was offerin a discount of $200 on the macbook pro , but do they offer more that that???

12. Igantius macrumors 65816

13. samvie macrumors newbie

Macfriend, I assume you're from Sweden and a little googling came up with this: http://www.apple.com/se/backtoschool/faq.html

When you change the "se" part in the url to "fi" you get the same in Finnish:
    http://www.apple.com/fi/backtoschool/faq.html

I'm waiting for the back to school promotion myself, hopefully we'll see it again this year in Finland. :)

14. Ibanez Strummer macrumors member

Hey

If you can try and buy the mac through your school or college. I bought my macbook a couple of months ago (2ghz C2D and 1gb). Cost £880 in the apple store full price, but I only paid £650. Think my college has some sort of ADC connection or something.

15. Igantius macrumors 65816

That sounds like the Apple Store for Higher Education discount.

16. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

Is this Higher Education discount only in the UK, or in the US too? Is it different from the regular education discount?

17. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I'm wondering much the same for the Canada store. I only have the option of clicking on "Education". It then lists the restrictions (eg. 1 Mac Pro per year, etc.) and asks if I'm a student, staff, or faculty. The top of the page does say "Higher Education." Is there another education store I'm not accessing?

Linky.

18. Igantius macrumors 65816

Yes, that one is UK only - there might be a similar one in the States, I don't know though!

It is different to the regular edu store (bigger discount and longer warranty) - to be qualify, the institution must have signed up to the National Higher Education Agreement with Apple (I think!). It's mainly (but not exclusively) universities that have.

19. Igantius macrumors 65816

Looks like it's the same kind of deal... would have thought that's gonna be the cheapest option, but have an explore to check!

20. macfriend1 macrumors regular

higher education discount. whatever.
    I wanna have this Ipod for free, cause I'm gonna buy a macbook anyways...
    that's a pity this "get ipodfree-disountthing" is only in the states available.