Education discount proof for in store purchase?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lls4f, Jun 2, 2012.

1. lls4f macrumors regular

I'm planning to buy a 2012 MBP the first day they are out in store because my Dell is about to fall apart. My concern is that I just graduated from undergrad this year, and so my undergrad ID card is expired (it says so in plain text on the front), and I do not yet have an ID card for my grad school (won't get it until I'm there in the fall). I have an active email for both my undergrad and grad schools though. What kind of proof do I need to bring in store to get the education discount?

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Any university email account is sufficient for the online store. To be safe, you could bring an acceptance letter of your new grad school when you go to the store.

3. JohnnyChao macrumors member

yep

or u could order online, they dotn check anything online i believe

4. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

that appears to be correct - i've bought a number of macs online with student discount and never had to provide prove of student status. that's in the UK though, not sure if it'll be the same wherever you might be.

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Do you have proof that you've registered at the school? There should be some sort of paperwork saying that you'll be attending in the fall. I would think that, along with your old student ID and a photo ID would be ok. You might want to give your Apple Store a call to check, though...it might save you an extra trip if they want some sort of proof that you don't have on hand.

6. lls4f thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you everyone! I will give my Apple store a call on Monday and post what they say in case anyone else is curious. I figured that it would be easier to order online since at most they would check that you have a university email but I want to get it the day it comes out in stores. This money is burning a serious hole in my pocket, and I just love visiting brick and mortar Apple stores and walking away with an awesome piece of tech.

7. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Might be worth waiting for this year's back to school promotion as well. Unfortunately they have stopped giving out free iPod touches last year, doubt they will return this year, but last year's free $100 app store voucher was a pretty decent deal as well.

8. lls4f thread starter macrumors regular

That's true. I don't know if I can handle much more of a wait though! I got a $100 gift card to the Apple store (not iTunes) as a grad gift, so I'll probably rationalize that I've got that discount and the education discount too.

As far as proof that I'm registered, I don't have anything in writing except for my acceptance letter. Even things like the seat deposit payment are done online. I guess I can show them a confirmation email that I paid my seat deposit. Well, I'll call them and ask. It would be sad to drive 30 mins to the store with the intent of getting a new computer and walk away without one because I didn't have the right proof of student-hood.

9. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I have found the Apple store employees to be pretty easy to deal with when it comes to proof.

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I live in a University town, the Apple store being just a few blocks from campus, they do lots of student business. They simply ask for a student ID, and honor the discount happily.

11. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I really don't know what their requirements are. I'm the parent of two college kids, all I have to do is ask for the discount and I get it. No ID, info on my kids, etc required. I'm thinking the proof isn't that stringent overall.

12. pHeNom macrumors regular

When I bought a macbook pro I just presented my school ID when they were about to complete my checkout. Along with my payments. No questions asked.

13. lls4f thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I get that a student ID would suffice. But my undergrad one plainly says "Valid through May 2012" on the front as I just graduated. And I do not have an ID for my grad school yet and won't get it until fall orientation. So I was wondering what other proof they might take.

14. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Then I suggest ordering it online the day they're released through the EDU section of the store, or take your chances they don't question it if you walk in a store. I don't think anyone here can tell you any other way. I'd try the physical store with the ID you have and the proof of next years registration personally, but that's more an instant gratification thing vs online which will go through unquestioned I'm sure.

15. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

I've never had a problem at the Apple store. My school is online only, so I don't have a student ID. Once I offered to login to my student page to show them, and the one guy had me do it. I've used the discount two other times and offered the same thing, they just laughed and said don't worry about it.

16. chanyitian macrumors regular

I am not sure if this is the case in whatever country u r in. But in Hong Kong, Apple only randomly select some of its customers to show prove that they qualify for the edu discount. So if you order online, this may solve the problem. hope this helps

17. MassTownie macrumors member

I don't see a difference in pricing from Amazon to the Apple Store...am I missing something?