Education discount - proof of status

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by craigyknows, Jul 19, 2007.

1. craigyknows macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any idea what 'proof of teaching' status I need for the education discount?
    Is the proof always requested?

I hope it's not a photocopy of my staff card as that looks well dodgy :D

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

A letter from your school, on official headed paper, signed by someone in a higher position than you (or even just the school secretary) saying you are a member of staff should suffice.

Or just a photo copy of your staff card. Unless of course you are buying in a shop where you can just show them your card.

3. craigyknows thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks TBi. Honestly my Uni is in the dark ages and my staff card looks like something a two year old could knock-off. Sounds like getting a letter is the way forward.

4. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I've bought 3 systems online with my edu discount and was never once asked for proof of ID so i wouldn't really worry about it.

5. MarsUltor macrumors member

I have used my student status, as well as my teacher status (graduate student/TA) to buy several systems, and I never had to show any sort of proof (all through the online store). A buddy of mine bought an ibook from an apple store two years ago, and just had to flash his student ID. The only time it was an issue was when my father was trying to buy a computer using his faculty discount, but that was through the online store (and is somewhat dependent on the school you are using the discount for), which required a certain faculty ID# and password.