Education Discount Proof?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hydrocity, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Ok, well my Dad ordered a MacBook Pro for my cousin, its a surprise, and he used an education discount since he is in university. So I need to know if I need to sneak into his house and take his ID card for physical proof. The computer will be shipped to my house, and I dont think the delivery guy will ask, or will he?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What? The education discount is applied at the point of sale. If he already got the discount applied, that's basically it.

3. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

You normally have to give Apple photographic evidence of their enrolment within something like 90 days. The delivery guy won't ask, but Apple will charge you the difference between the education and normal one if you don't submit it.

4. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

You don't have to unless they ask. I do go to a university and ordered online and I was never asked and never got charged extra. Unless you receive an email or something I think you will be fine.

5. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? Anybody else want to confirm this?

So like what, do I take a picture of the ID card...

6. Littlefields macrumors newbie

I doubt that they will go as far as asking for photo evidence. Also, TheBritishBloke is not from the US, which I'm guessing where you are from, so that may be a little different. But I would like to know this as well, since I just ordered a Mac on education discount as well.

7. Coleys macrumors newbie

Coleys

I was not asked for proof, and I have read from multiple places that they do not ask -- the validity of this I do not know.

But again, I was not asked. Everything was smooth.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I had to supply my school id and schedule. ID alone wouldnt work

9. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im from Canada. I dont think it should be different than what the US has to do

10. Coleys macrumors newbie

Coleys

Im also from Canada. I was not/have not been asked for my school I.D.

My purchase is about 2 weeks old now. I doubt they will contact me asking for this information now.

11. Reapur macrumors regular

depends on where you live, in North America Apple doesn't really care, you could just go online and goto the education store and buy it by just claiming to goto a school in their list, they don't actually confirm it.

In the UK, it seems more strickt where you have to login from your schools internet connection and provide actual proof. So it sounds like you dont have anything to worry about because im assuming you are in the USA. And no the UPS driver couldn't give a damn if you goto school or not, they are there to drop off the package and get the hell out.

12. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL thats what I thouht. I am in Canada tho. I just hope the UPS driver wont ask for ID when I try signing for the package as I am 15.

13. MaxMike macrumors 6502

Apple kinda ticked me off about this. Like 2 years ago, a few of my friends got MacBooks (Pros) for high school. They got the student discount. They even told me that they showed their HS IDs and the geniuses didn't think a second thought about the education pricing. I went to the Apple store to get my Mac mini back in the beginning of this year, and I was denied the discount. Did I mention that I went to where my friend got his MBP and I had the same salesman that gave him the discount, but not to me

14. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I've bought two macs on edu discount, and I've never had to prove anything.

15. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, well it seems like they dont ask for proof. Well I guess that saves me a little trip.

And MaxMike, sorry to hear about that. Your friends got lucky I guess, since you do need to be in University or College right? I guess its just easier to order online with a discount.

16. mox123 macrumors 6502

I had to show them my ID when I bought from the store, but nothing if I ordered online for my past mac purchases.

Lately I discover that if i order items from my university's own internal website, I get additional 4% off edu pricing AND pay no taxes...

17. eatmyshade macrumors member

eatmyshade

i also got it online with student discount and didnt get asked anything

live in the us

18. klover macrumors 6502a

Another Canadian here. My girlfriend and I have purchased 3 Macbooks (13" Pros and an Air) online and have not had to provide any proof.

I've also purchased 2 additional MBPs in-store (seperate occasions after returns) and only had to show a print-out of my registration.

Pretty straightforward.

19. expressway macrumors member

I'm in the US and bought my MBP last summer with an education discount. Great deal, and they never asked for proof. Seems a little risky for them, but whatever works. I got the discount on AppleCare, too.

20. brianfast macrumors regular

You don't need photo id. You need proof of anything higher education related, ie student card, schedule, acceptance letter, login to student email etc....

21. Garrus macrumors member

well i think its only being competitive... as you can bargain the price when you buy on the Dell store...

22. BeestieHalls macrumors member

I asked a representative about this.

They randomly screen a few customers out of all the order they have in order to make sure you arent lying. However, they don't screen everyone. You can just say you are a student and you might never been asked to prove anything.

On the off chance that you are, i think they just require you send in a copy of your school ID

23. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

No way No how that Apple can retroactively ask for proof and back-charge the discounted amount. NO WAY. I've purchased under the educational discount, and you don't sign a contract or anything else. Once that transaction is accepted and completed - in the absence of an additional binding contract - it's a done deal, case closed. And to my knowledge, I don't believe they ask you to sign such a contract (nor did they in my purchases). They may ask for proof at the time of purchase, but once you've paid and received the merchandise, that's it.

Frankly, I've been LMAO at whoever promulgated this silly rumor.

24. telejeff macrumors newbie

In my experience, I've click on education store and entered the university I attend. All discounts are applied while I browse and shop the store online. The shopping cart's prices reflect the discount automatically. Never heard from Apple after that.

In the store, I've purchased accessories here and there and I've said "I attend ____ University, could you apply any applicable educational discounts?" I don't recall they've ever requested to see my student ID. But then again, I look young enough that it's probably pointless to ask.