Education Discount question on MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sunshadow, May 27, 2010.

1. sunshadow macrumors member

I've been thinking for a while about buying the Macbook Pro. I'm still not 100% sure if it's what I want to do, but the new 13" Macbook Pro's look like a good value for the money. At the 2.4ghz model, it would cost me almost as much to get an equivalent PC.

I'm a few years out of college but I'm going to be teaching in a k-12 equivalent institution overseas in a couple of months. The education discount only applies to the US though. My brother is still in college, and his ipod just broke. It's a 3rd gen so it's at least a few years old. So now that they have this get a free itouch w/ purchase of Mac on the education discount page, I could have him buy the Mac for me, he would keep the itouch (I really don't have any use for one since I've got an iphone) and I'd pay him back.

Seems like pretty win-win. I save $100 he gets a free itouch.

So my question is this - if he were to buy the Applecare plan when he purchases the mac, how hard would it be to transfer to my name? I read that it's transferable in the terms. Or... if I buy the Applecare plan after the fact, will I have a problem registering it in my name?

2. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Apple care is registered to the machine and not the user. So you can always swap it over to your name if you are really concerned.

3. BIS2 macrumors regular

You have a year after purchase to buy AppleCare. So after he buys it, register it to yourself and then you can buy AppleCare within the first year.

4. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

The transfer process for AppleCare is pretty simple, basically you just have to fill out a form and send it in. I've done it a bunch of times when selling Macs. Hang onto the original receipt for the computer and the AppleCare itself and pass that onto the new owner and they'll be fine.

There's a lot of conflicting information out there about warranties. Yes, most of the time there is no problem making a claim, but just know that it is possible to have a claim denied for not having a receipt. This exact thing happened to me. It's pretty rare, I think, and it's Apple's out in event of a repair they don't feel is necessary (like the torn layer in my MBA display).

When it says in the AppleCare agreement to retain the original receipt, they mean it.

Or just do like the other poster said and buy AppleCare afterward and register it in your name, but I'd really suggest getting a copy of the original receipt of the computer....just in case.

5. sunshadow thread starter macrumors member

Is the machine registered to the buyer's name? I'm just concerned because if I do buy a mac and it breaks while I'm out of the country, I'm not gonna be anywhere near my brother. I read that applecare is international, so I'm guessing based on what you are saying, if I have the receipt, everything should be ok?

Will they accept a scanned copy saved to PDF?

6. argopelter macrumors newbie

Don't want to hijack, but does anyone know if there would be an issue with going to buy a computer with a relative's student discount but paying on my credit card?

A

7. melvinchien macrumors newbie

The AppleCare is registered to the machine and has a name attached, but as other people have mentioned, it is really easy to transfer it. And keep in mind that you have one year to buy the APP. And no matter when you buy it, it starts when you bought your computer.

I am not sure about using a relative's student discount, but I have used my brother's student discount when paying with another credit card and that was fine. Dont know for sure though. Or you can buy it online through the education store. I dont think they really check that way. Or at least they havent for me.