Education Discount Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cynbad, Jul 18, 2007.

1. cynbad macrumors newbie

My sister is wanting to use my education discount (I'm a teacher), and I am ok with this to get here a laptop. I'm not needing to get one currently, I got one over a year ago and it is still working fine.

My question has to do with if she can pay with her credit card and/or be shipped to her house. She is a few hours away from me and would prefer to have it shipped there. If she can't use the CC, we talked about her buying a gift card that would cover the purchase and then letting me order with that.

I've seen elsewhere posted on this board that apple doesn't care if you let someone use your discount. Has anyone done what I'm talking about here? Is it possible?

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

All your sister needs to say is that she's a student. It's worth a try, here in Ireland Apple don't ask for proof.

3. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

All you need to do is have the computer shipped in your name. Then if she gets tagged with a random check they check you and not your sister, and you can fax them a copy of your ID.

4. cynbad thread starter macrumors newbie

so there shouldn't be any issue in using her Credit Card?

5. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

No. Just have it ship to your name at whatever address. it's unlikely they'll check but if they do they'll contact the phone number given for the order and ask for your ID, which you can fax them a copy of.

6. awalkingenigma macrumors newbie

how exactly does the random check work? what are the chances of you getting chosen? No, I'm not thinking about committing fraud.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

for online purchases, apple will contact you and ask you to send a copy of your student credentials and if you don't they'll bill you for the difference between the education price and the regular retail price.......it seems to be a very small percentage of buyers that get audited but it does happen