Education discount - UK

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattgk01, Jan 10, 2010.

1. mattgk01 macrumors newbie

I currently qualify for "school" education discount and I was wondering if I needed to bring any ID to the Apple store when buying a MBP. My school dosen't give students any form of ID before you ask.

My other question is the "college" discount. I have been provisionally accepted into college and i have the letter stating so, would this be enough to get a college student discount.

2. Spandexman macrumors regular

If by college, you mean 6th form college, then I believe oyu need to be within the college network to order, or you need ID. Either way, you need to be a current member. If you meant University, then it's a valid NUS card, or on the University network, again which you'll only be able to manage when you're a member. Or you can do what I did and ring them and try to do it on the phone. They haggle!

3. mattgk01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thank you.

What about the normal school discount.

4. Spandexman macrumors regular

You can check the level of the discount online. Not sure about the shops with that one, you'll have to ask them. I don't imagine that they'll give you too much trouble about it though. I mean, how can you prove you go to school? Out of interest, why not order online?

5. Irosaki macrumors member

Irosaki

I qualify for the University Student discount and all you have to do is order online while connected to the University's network, I dont know if it is different for school discounts.

6. Leafcut macrumors newbie

Hi.
    I want to buy a MacBook Pro, but it isn't allowed to receive packages with electronic devices at our student halls. So i have to buy one at the retail store.

Is it possible to get the same University student discount at the Apple retail store?

LeafCut

7. Spandexman macrumors regular

That's one of the stupidest rules i've ever heard! :eek: Which university are you at? I'm almost positive that you can get the same discount online as in the shop, but you can't customise the ones in the shop. If you live reasonably near to your university, or know any people who are living out, could you get it delivered to your parent's/friend's house?

8. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

How could anybody enforce this rule without breaking the law by opening a package that's not addressed to them?

Fabian

9. Leafcut macrumors newbie

@spandexman
    I'm an exchange student here in the UK so the only possible address for shipping the MacBook Pro is the address of the student halls.
    Every package will be received by the warden's lodge and the warden don't accept packages with electronic devices.
    I don't think the warden is blind and will overlook the sender address of Apple, so I think the package will be refused.

@fabian9
    I think they have only to look on the sender address to guess what is in the package.

10. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Who are they to tell you what you can and cannot receive? This is absurd.

11. tomjleeds macrumors 6502

I would suggest talking to the warden. When I was living in halls of residence I had many hundreds of pounds of electronic equipment delivered.

12. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas