Education Discount - when does it expire?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by safetyobc, Sep 7, 2007.

1. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

Just curious when the education discount on apple's store expire? I am wanting to buy a Macbook (Black) but don't know when I will get it...

I see the iPod offer expires on the 16th but I am not interested in that as I already have an iPod.

thanks for any info.

2. polythene pam macrumors member

As far as I know it does not expire. What happens is you have a limit of one laptop per school year, using the discount. If you haven't bought one in the last couple of months, you should be fine.

3. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

it doesn't expire, its 365 days you just have to be a college student

5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I can't find the printed version, but I just bought a MacBook for my son, and it says "students, AND student's parents" qualify (obviously buying for a student) for a ONE TIME shot at such a discount, so there's no date expiration other than the 16th for the Nano offer. We just entered the uni where my son's enrolled, and went from there, but bought it on my account.

6. kevin7! macrumors newbie

Educational Discount + iPod deal expiring on 9/16?

And what about that "Hurry - offer ends 9/16" regarding the College Student discount (Mac + iPod Nano). They have offered that program for a while now so are they discontinuing the iPod rebate all together? My hope is that they will create a new program to include the new iPod Nano.

The current program is evidently only valid with the old iPods.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The Mac +iPod promo for Education customers only occurs once a year...it typically runs July-ish through September-ish in the US for the back-to-school season. So once it's over, it won't be back until next summer, assuming they continue the trend of the last few years.

And yes, it's only good on the old nanos.

8. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to ensure the discount would be around in October or November when I have my money!

Thanks!

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

We got the black and loaded it with 2 gb of RAM. Ordered in on a Saturday, and it arrived the next Wednesday. He's really happy with it. Good luck. ;)

10. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

This information is incorrect. Schools may allow only one purchase because they do leasing, offer a subsidy, etc. However, the official apple info is as follows:

"Who is Eligible To Purchase:
    The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

Faculty or staff member of a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States
    Student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States
    Parent purchasing on behalf of their child who is a student currently attending or accepted into public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States
    Purchase Quantity
    Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the following quantities of product per academic school year:

Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
    Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
    Apple TV: There is no limit on the quantity of Apple TV purchases per academic year
    iPod: There is no limit on the quantity of iPod purchases per academic year"

11. nc7r macrumors member

nc7r

You don't get Edu discount on iPods do you?

Not in the UK store last time I checked anyway!

12. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Wrong, it "expires" once you lose your college ID ;)