Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkamieneski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
As a parent I will be ordering a MBP for our son going to college using the education discount. As I read the quantity limitations, there is a limit of 1 notebook per academic year. However, the particular passage in the legalese speaks to "student" purchase limitations not the possible combination of a student purchase and a parent purchase for a student.

I was considering trying to purchase a MBA at the same time for us parents to use communicating with our student (video conferencing) and for him to use while at home if he forgets his MBP.

The local Apple Store saw no problem with this but I was wondering how others read this limitation?

Amerabian

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2011
You're talking about the "1 MBP per year discount deal" "limitation"?

I see it's reasonable. Aftert all, Apple wants to protect itself from loopholes which re-sellers can use to make more profit.

gkamieneski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Don't wish to belabor the point, just explain my confusion.

The Apple quantity policy statement:

Purchase Quantity

Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the following quantities of product per academic school year. Not all products have special Education Pricing.

Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year

This does not mention parents purchasing on behalf of a student, which is allowed under the terms.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
The Apple quantity policy statement:

Purchase Quantity

Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the following quantities of product per academic school year. Not all products have special Education Pricing.

Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year

This does not mention parents purchasing on behalf of a student, which is allowed under the terms.

The argument that "it doesn't apply to parents buying for students" isn't going to get you that far. It might not say it explicitly, but it's only logical that a parent buying for a student can't buy an unlimited number of machines with the education discount.

Last edited:

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
The yearly purchase limits applie to the end user, not whether he bought it himself or a parent bought it on behalf of the student.

Nice try, OP, but you cant bend the rules so you can save yourself a few bucks. This is in the same vein as "can I install my copy of Snow Leopard on my parent's Mac."

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
I'm not understanding why you, the parent of the student, feel you deserve a student discount for your personal MBA. The discount is intended to make prices more reasonable for students and parents of students as they prepare for their higher education not for the parents to exploit for their own computer needs. The rules are very clear: You may purchase one notebook per year for the student regardless of who is paying the bill.

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2004
ATL
Also, it applies to academic year and not calendar. Buy one machine now and another once the academic year begins again in August.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Previous posters have accurately described Apple's *official* policy regarding the education discount.

In practice, this policy is not often enforced. As long as they are separate orders, you should be able to purchase both your son's computer and your MBA and get the discount for both. If you try to buy two computers in the same trip to the Applestore or on the same online order you may run into a problem.

By the way, I'd wait on the MBA as its likely going to be updated this summer.

Coolestdude

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
I imagine people with multiple kids going into school at the same time (ie twins) have had this issue, but it isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Why bend the policies? Looking at this chart, you can do cheaper than EDU discount anyway.

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
You can buy as many products with the discount as you'd like - just go to the education store and purchase accordingly.

Also, you can use Amazon or Microcenter - like someone suggested. They provided pretty similar discounts. But, with Amazon you don't pay taxes - which is a major plus

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
As a parent I will be ordering a MBP for our son going to college using the education discount. As I read the quantity limitations, there is a limit of 1 notebook per academic year. However, the particular passage in the legalese speaks to "student" purchase limitations not the possible combination of a student purchase and a parent purchase for a student.

I was considering trying to purchase a MBA at the same time for us parents to use communicating with our student (video conferencing) and for him to use while at home if he forgets his MBP.

The local Apple Store saw no problem with this but I was wondering how others read this limitation?

Windows Skype users can video conference with OSX Skype users too. I think you're just trying find an excuse for getting an Apple notebook and hopefully a discount too... but who can blame you? :D

If your son is going to college, why not just get his Apple laptop now, and then get your's in September? Then the two purchase periods will be in two different academic years... job done. ;)

gkamieneski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Thanks everyone for the replies. As much as it seems so, I am really not trying to circumvent any policy. This all started when the brick and mortar Apple Store gave me obviously erroneous information (perhaps they just wanted to sell 2 units?).

Also note that part of the MA purchase was for my student to use it if/when he forgot his MP.

In any event, several have mentioned the legitimacy of buying in two different academic years (right now and again after August). If my student is still in high school beginning college in the fall, will this interpretation fly?

cfitz7111

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Again, if you buy the Air as a refurb from Apple, there is no worry about the educational policy, and you save $50 as refurb's are cheaper then the educational discount.

daceymathers

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
newyork

Here are some criteria given for purchasing mac products.Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the following quantities of product per academic school year:

1. Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
2. Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
3. Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
4. Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
5. Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
6. Apple TV: There is no limit on the quantity of Apple TV purchases per academic year
7. iPod: There is no limit on the quantity of iPod purchases per academic year

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Thanks everyone for the replies. As much as it seems so, I am really not trying to circumvent any policy. This all started when the brick and mortar Apple Store gave me obviously erroneous information (perhaps they just wanted to sell 2 units?).

Also note that part of the MA purchase was for my student to use it if/when he forgot his MP.

In any event, several have mentioned the legitimacy of buying in two different academic years (right now and again after August). If my student is still in high school beginning college in the fall, will this interpretation fly?

You will be fine. I've done it in the past. Purchase online for kids and go to the store for myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.