Education Discount

ThunderApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
How does this work? I'm going to be going to college this Sept. I went to Apple, clicked Higher Education, Clicked my College and simply went to check out with the new retina and I get $100 off with a $100 gift card. Is there some sort of loop hole to this? Seems to easy.

Magaman

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
Yes it's that easy. If you went into the store you would need to show your school ID or some sort of proof.

Comment

Geo411m

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
So if I buy in from online store in Canada, how would they verify?
As far as I can tell, if you buy online they don't verify but if you buy in store they ask for student ID. At least they asked me for my Student ID.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
How does this work? I'm going to be going to college this Sept. I went to Apple, clicked Higher Education, Clicked my College and simply went to check out with the new retina and I get $100 off with a $100 gift card. Is there some sort of loop hole to this? Seems to easy.
Yeah. Except on the retina model shouldn't it be $200 off and a $100 gift card?

They literally don't even check. Just put in your school, give them your money, and wait for it to arrive at your door. No verification whatsoever.

Comment

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Yeah. Except on the retina model shouldn't it be $200 off and a $100 gift card?

They literally don't even check. Just put in your school, give them your money, and wait for it to arrive at your door. No verification whatsoever.
In Europe at least you need to do this from a campus computer / college network

Comment

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Well, theoretically you do. But there's no technical limitation to restrict you accessing the HE store from home, at least in the UK. It's just that you have to google for the links.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Weird. We just have to select the education section of the store, then enter the zip code and select our school. Purchase and done. Not even an edu email address or anything.

Comment

iamdavekennedy

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
London / Belfast
If you go into store with someone who IS a student, they let you buy, I was informed by staff that they get parents/friends/family using students discount cards for their own means, allowed me to buy an iMac and MBP on the day just because my friend showed his card (and obviously he hadn't reached the annual purchase limit per student)

Comment

Marat

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
As far as I can tell, if you buy online they don't verify but if you buy in store they ask for student ID. At least they asked me for my Student ID.
I bought a MBP in the store last year and got the discount without showing my ID. I told him I was a student, started to dig the ID out and the Apple guy said don't worry about it, we don't need to see it. It may vary store to store.

Comment

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
How do they enforce the one laptop per year term if you buy it in store? Do they actually log down your name or something like that?

Online I suppose they can check your order logs, but what's stopping me from creating a new Apple ID and ordering through that? It's not like they check your ID when one orders online.

I'm just curious, not rich enough to order multiple computers in a year :p

Comment

glitternarwhal

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
Yeah...I saw someone that posted something a while ago about user the student discount but not having to verify their ID or anything online. I'm thinking about going that route and saving myself some cash. Hopefully there'd be no problems doing it.

Comment

calderone

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2009
Seattle
My understanding is that Apple does random checks. I personally do not think you should use the program if you are not a student, but to each their own I suppose.

Comment

angelsguardian

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
North East Scotland
Pity they changed the Applecare discount from around 75% to about 25% with this refresh :( I changed mine and got the Applecare refunded. I'll wait to see if the discount goes back up later in the first year of my MBP's life!

Comment

richlee111

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
How do they enforce the one laptop per year term if you buy it in store? Do they actually log down your name or something like that?
:p
Simple. They ask for an ID such as a driver license. Using the student discount for the past four years, I have bought a Macbook Pro 13, Macbook Pro 15, Mac Mini, a Thunderbolt display, and yesterday a Macbook Air. Almost all of the times they have asked for both a student ID and my drivers license. I noticed that they recorded my drivers license. So I'm guessing that's how.

Comment

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Simple. They ask for an ID such as a driver license. Using the student discount for the past four years, I have bought a Macbook Pro 13, Macbook Pro 15, Mac Mini, a Thunderbolt display, and yesterday a Macbook Air. Almost all of the times they have asked for both a student ID and my drivers license. I noticed that they recorded my drivers license. So I'm guessing that's how.
Interesting. Thanks for the information. This is quite different from other users' experience where the salesman actually says that there's no need to show a student ID.

Comment

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
My understanding is that Apple does random checks. I personally do not think you should use the program if you are not a student, but to each their own I suppose.
Anyone have a clear idea of what the consequences of getting caught are?

I have never heard of anyone having real legal troubles as a result of this, and I can't imagine someone being prosecuted for something like this (just use the excuse of "my friend sent me this link and I clicked on it and ordered, I didn't know I had to be a student!").

So what do they do if you are busted? Anyone know? I assume your order just gets cancelled.

Comment

richlee111

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Interesting. Thanks for the information. This is quite different from other users' experience where the salesman actually says that there's no need to show a student ID.
You could be right. I'm a little older then the avg college student. Been doing the full time job and going to college thing now for awhile. A lot of times I stop by after work w/ my work ID. But regardless, I am always ready to show them a class roster or my not so small tuition bill:)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.