Education Discount

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rangerdanger, Jun 21, 2008.

1. rangerdanger macrumors member

I had a quick question regarding the education discount on for Macs. I'm in 10th grade, and I was wondering if there is anyway to get the education discount. Really, the IPOD would be nice, but I'm ore interested in getting the $200 or $100 off the Mac itself. Any way to do this?? Thanks!

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

nope, no way to get it unless you have a family member/friend willing to buy it for you

oh and by the way, the MAXIMUM you will save is about $40. absolute max. probably more like $30

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Nope, i was in the same position, but you need a Student ID Card to get the discount, and Secondary (High School) doesnt count.

In the end my Sister worked for the NHS, and got an employee discount.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you take courses at a local college and you can probably use that, but that's about it.

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

No, more like $100-200 depending on the model...

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

i was talking about the iPod :rolleyes:

7. izibo macrumors 6502

Don't go rolling your eyes when you don't know what you're talking about. The iPod is free for college students / faculty. That is slightly more than a $30 bonus.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No, more like $0-$0 depending on the model :p

9. Cougarcat macrumors 604

You can get a six percent discount if your parents or someone you know works for the state. (At least in NC where I live.) At the Apple Store, I Got a discount for an iPod Nano, and the case was a whopping 3 percent off.

10. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Pearl 8130: BlackBerry8130/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I'm in high school and yet am going to get the MacBook Pro and iPod touch with education because I am enrolled in "dual-credit." Basically, if you are able to get college credit for a high school class, you can use that as your college student status.

11. philgilder macrumors 68000

clearly you dont know what you're talking about
    the iPod is only free if you purchase a new mac and are going to college/university, which the OP is not

12. Cubs macrumors newbie

I think you're just confused.

He's not in college, so how is he supposed to get ANY discount? If he was, he would get the free iPod AND the 200 dollars off.

13. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

If you have a parent that works for a school you can get it as well.
    My mom got a job as a secretary at a school my senior year of high school, and I was able to use that status to get $100 off an iMac.

14. rangerdanger thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. My Mom works for the school system, so now that I know I can get a discount using that, I'm set!! Thanks alot!!

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It also means your mom has to be the one doing the buying.

16. ccusic macrumors newbie

I just bought my MBP and got the free printer and iPod Touch... All you need is an active college email address.. therefore, as stated before, if you are enrolled in duel credit with a college you can get it because you have to have your college email address... and I received 100 off for purchasing the mbp and it would have been only like 25 i think for the regular macbook... the free ipod and computer were nice comps tho...

17. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

You get $200 off the MBP actually. $100 off the MacBook. $50 off the low-end iMac, but $100 off the models with upgraded processors.

18. rangerdanger thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, never thought of Mom having to do the buying. Guess that means I get the MBP early though!!! Oringally, my parents started a checking account for me and we ordered a debt card (So I wouldn't have to carry the cash up there) and it would be next week or later that I would purchase it (7 to 14 business days for debt card or checks to arrive)

So now, I guess the money would have to be transferred to her checking account. One question though. To prove she works for the school system, could she use her last paycheck. End of the school year, teacher and teacher aides have to turn in their ID badges to be updated next year. Thanks

19. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure they don't really ask for proof.

20. Icarus73 macrumors regular

they don't when ordering online.

I'll be a freshman in college this year, so I legitly got my new MBP and ipod touch, but right before my sophomore year of high school, i used the college discount to get an ibook g4 and an ipod mini.

21. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

A pay stub should be okay. I was in the Apple store buying a MacBook for my son last year and they gave the student price to a guy who pulled up his AmEx bill online showing the tuition payments to UVA! I said I was buying for a college student too and did the same with my VISA ( stupid Uof A doesn't take AmEx so no points for free travel.) Basically, you have to prove your eligibility in a positive way. Periodically, Apple audits random student sales. I don't know what, if anything, they could do if you fraudulently bought one on a student discount. :apple:

22. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I really dislike it when people abuse privileges...I am a legitimate educator and make very little money in doing so. (Took a $25,000+ paycut to become an educator from the world of marketing!) When I was in college my family made very little money as well so the educator/college student discount helped me and my family afford a computer. Please don't abuse things like this- it only forces companies to reconsider their discount offerings. And we wonder why Apple and ATT are having to get more strict on iPhone activations...too many people in our society feel like they can take from anyone or any company. It all ends up costing everyone more(either $ or removal of privileges) when people abuse companies which are trying to do the right thing. Just because companies don't check, doesn't mean you should take the discount!! I have a saying in my second grade classroom "what if everyone did it?" I think your argument would probably be that it won't hurt Apple if you do it, but what if everyone did it? :mad:

flyfish29 <-----stepping off soapbox now.

As far as the discount goes- you never get a discount (unless using the free offer) on iPods, but you do on any Mac. It is a good discount!

23. Icarus73 macrumors regular

Would I do it again? no. I was 15 at the time. people do stupid things when they're young.

24. crkfc macrumors member

i've bought 2 computers using the edu discount. they havent asked me for any verification. one order was through the web and one was over the phone. with the free ipod deal going, they might be more strict. my dad called up the delaware (no sales tax) apple store to see if he could pick up 2 imacs for my sisters and get the ipods and was told that he would need to bring their student IDs or some other proof of enrollment to get the deal and the ipods.

(both of my purchases were legit, as i am in college. my sisters are both entering college as well.)

25. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I agree- I did plenty of stupid things when I was young!!!:eek:

In your case I can strike it up to youth...we won't go into what I did that was stupid when I was young...I am a teacher for goodness sakes!:D (I do tell my students I make mistakes all the time.)