Education Discount?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thejakill, Feb 4, 2010.

1. thejakill macrumors 6502

thejakill

Will there be an education discount for ipad?

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

My gf's school store said it would about $74 dollars off give or take.

3. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

See? it must be $75 dollars then. Mods, please sticky this thread.

4. kjanice2009 macrumors member

i hope that education discount will provide by ipad, well lots of students will benefit from that

5. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

So is that £50 for the UK then? I'm at a sixth form college, so don't qualify for the Uni discount (the maximum one).

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple has curtailed its education discount to a great degree. Years ago, the discounts were much steeper. While I do expect a discount, I think the 75 dollars being bantered around is probably pretty close to the truth.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Apple discounts are generally in the 5-8% range. Given the iPad's low price point I'd say $30 IF it decides to discount at all (iPod). I don't see it knocking $75 off. That is about 15% off on the low end model. Not going to happen. Now maybe large universities w/ their own computer stores will offer a cut rate price, but it won't be a deal available direct from Apple on the edu store.

8. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Yeah $75 strikes me as too generous, particularly for the $499 model. I could maybe see it on the $829 model, and even then it feels a little overly generous for Apple's current policies.

I think $25 on the $499, sliding up to say $50 on the $829 is the most likely scenario.

Anyone have any experience with timing and education discounts? In the past with new products has Apple filled "full price" orders first, then discounted education orders? Or are they all in one big queue?

9. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I'd see maybe around $50. The mini, selling for $600, gets a $50 discount, and the MacBook at $999 gets a $100 discount.

10. melman101 macrumors 68030

Hmmmmm, interesting. I'm an administrator at a college, I'll try to get the discount myself. That would be awesome! :)

11. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

The discounts from Apple seem right around 10% of the retail price. The question is WILL it be available for discount. IMHO I think it will since this device has the education sector as one of its targets.

12. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Will the $75 or $30 apply to the 3G version....since it's wayyyyy diffrent from the wi-fi version?:rolleyes:

13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I really hope so! I can see Apple offering the education discount on the iPad, even a fairly deep one, as they may want to try to get a foothold on eTextBooks. Even $25 would be nice.

14. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Ohhhhhh, this would be awesome if the really do discount it some for edu!

15. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Jeebus. I was being sarcastic with the discount. Apple will more than likely do a student discount. Like another poster said, they are less than, or equal to 10% usually.

I think more than anything, whether they do provide a discount will be telling of how they see this product (is it a computer or an ipod?)

16. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

That was why i assumed there would probably NOT be a discount - "big iPod".

$50-75 off and i'll jump to the next higher model probably!

17. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Last couple of items I've ordered with higher education discount in the UK have been more like 15 or 16 percent discount.

Fingers crossed!

18. Sparced macrumors regular

Sparced

Even if you can get the 32GB version with education discount for slightly more than what 16GB standard price I would rather just get the entry model and then when it's time for the new second iPad to come out you don't feel to bad about handing it down to a family member.

19. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

This won't work for us with the amount of video content going on the device. :D

I'd actually jump from the 32 to the 64 wifi versions.... the 2nd one in the house will be 3g (for me! LOL!!) and will probably end up being hardware version 2.

20. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Edu Discount Would Suggest Device Status

The iPhone, iPod Touch don't get educational discounts. If the do offer the educational discount this would be a great way to increase Apple's market share in Higher Ed.

21. MikhailT macrumors 601

Those aren't considered educational use despite the fact that there are lot of courses using iPod Touches as a tool.

iPad while to most people might be considered as a larger iPad touch, is different and enough of a computer that it may be considered educational purpose and thus might get the discount.

22. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

Apple needs to stress that it's not just a big iPod. it does a lot more than an iPod can. and doesn't apple usually give away an iPod when you buy a macbook for college?

23. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

10% off the price isn't hard to come buy with a Target 10% card or a similar gift card you'll get for being a loyal (regular) BestBuy customer. I'll guess iPad will be sold any place the iPod Touch is sold, and if not in the stores it will be available on their web sites.

24. bigwayne3000 macrumors regular

they are positioning this to be between a smartphone and a computer but obviously it is closer to a computer than a smartphoen since theres no phone function what so ever. i think chances are likely that theyll have some type of educational discount but it prolly wont be more than $50. $75 would be nice since that would knock out a good chunck of the $130 mark up of the 3g versions over the wifi only ones. $60 difference between the models is a bit more reasonable for people (I would think) than $130.