Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xjames

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Brazil
Somehow when I bought mine I got the education discount. Seems like anyone can buy at those prices?

edited from previous title and ost where I was wondering about the price

Last edited:

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
It does seem like, at the moment, ANYONE can buy at those prices. Just bought a M1 Studio Pro on the Education page and they did not check my status.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple doesn't really check on that you you qualify or not, but by the same token, the discount is rather minimal. Back in the day educational discounts, both software and hardware were more significant. Now aways, many publishers have minimized or gotten rid of the discounts. Its nice to get something a little cheaper though

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Seems like anyone can buy at those prices?

It does seem like, at the moment, ANYONE can buy at those prices.

Apple doesn't really check on that you you qualify or not

I'd add that according to this MR story from a year ago, Apple does check qualifications outside of the US and took a stab at doing so in its home market last January:

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I'd add that according to this MR story from a year ago, Apple does check qualifications outside of the US and took a stab at doing so in its home market last January:

If you are a U.S. customer, there is no verification at the moment. That being said, there is always the chance Apple can audit you down the road.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've not seen that - I work for a qualified educational institute and they've not asked for my credentials - I bought a 14" MBP this past summer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
I've not seen that - I work for a qualified educational institute and they've not asked for my credentials - I bought a 14" MBP this past summer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
did you use at some point your work email?
As long it resembles in some identifiable form your name @official.institution.domain obviously 😎

That seems to be “sufficient“ when buying in an Apple Store in e.g. germany.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
did you use at some point your work email?
Nope, I bought it from my home computer and just did a search on education store at apple.com

s long it resembles in some identifiable form your name @official.institution.domain obviously 😎
I have a .edu work email address but I logged into my personal icloud account which obviously isn't .edu. Basically I bought an education priced laptop personally with no verification that I work at a teaching institution.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
My girlfriend is a teacher. She has shown her teacher's ID at an Apple store to get a discount on a new iPad and Macbook Air.

I am wondering...

If she shows her ID for the M1 Studio I am looking to buy, can it be put on my credit card? Does Apple require the same credit card name as the ID when in the store?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My girlfriend is a teacher. She has shown her teacher's ID at an Apple store to get a discount on a new iPad and Macbook Air.
Oh I have had to show my work id, when buying in the physical apple store, my point was only related to online sales.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Oh I have had to show my work id, when buying in the physical apple store, my point was only related to online sales.

Hi Maflynn! Oh, I realize that.

I am just wondering that when in the store with my girlfriend, if she shows her teacher ID if they will actually care whose credit card the purchase goes on.

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.