Education Pricing In Store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleBoyFreak, Aug 3, 2012.

1. AppleBoyFreak macrumors 6502

Hello ladies and gentlemen. So, soon I will be getting my first Mac, the 2012 13" MacBook Pro, and I have a few questions about education pricing in store. First, can a high school student get the education discount? Second, what documents would I need to prove I'm a student? Third, Will the discount apply to the MacBook Pro and the AppleCare like it does on the online store? And last, when I buy the Mac will they make me open it up and activate it there like they make you do with iPhones?

PS, Can you get the education discount all year in store like you can on the online store? Thanks everyone for the help!

2. Doggonit macrumors regular

By a strict reading of the education discount policy: NO.
    K-12 educators are included, but not students (that's the category you fall into). Higher education students, parents of higher education students, and higher education staff are all included.

I guess their reasoning is that a high school student doesn't need a Mac badly enough to justify giving them the discount. If they want it bad enough, they will have to fork over the full price.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I bought my MBP (in store) in February 2008 as a senior in high school by using my college acceptance letter. You do not usually get a discount as a high school student though.

Both Macs and and AppleCare receive discounts in the higher education store. No documents are checked at the time of purchase from the online store, but I've heard reports about occasional audits later on.

4. AppleBoyFreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, that's what I thought. I have a older sister in college so we should be able to use her to get education pricing right? I know the difference is only $200 between full price and student discount, but since my parents are buying me it I want to save them as much money as possible.

5. Doggonit macrumors regular

Yes, that works. And for the record, I am all for saving money. Hope you get everything you want with it, and then some.

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I don't know if it's the same for you, but over here we get a 3 year warranty instead of 1 year for higher education purchases online, but not in store.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That program isn't available in the US.