education store - 15 vs 17mbp and snow leopard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dcx3, Jan 8, 2009.

1. dcx3 macrumors member

Was planning getting a 15" MBP in the next few weeks, however with the new 17" being released I have noticed that for about $200 I can get the 17" with the same exact software options (logic express and final cut express). The battery seems impressive too. However I have not used a 17" laptop and am wondering if it will be too big for my needs. I use my current laptop at home and also take it places from time to time, but most use it at home.

Also, I would not like buying the 17" only to have the 15" be updated soon with the same options of anit-glare and battery.

Im also wondering about the snow leopard, if its worth the wait.

any advice if you were in my shoes?

I dont need the laptop immediately but waiting another 4 months isn't what im looking to do either.

thanks.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Ok theres lots of points here, firstly Snow Leopard wont be out until May/June (WWDC) can you wait 5 months? and youll be able to upgrade and install it when it comes out anyway

The 15" may get the anti glare (matte) at its next refresh due in about 6 months again, but it wont get the internal battery for a long time until its next redesign in about 18 months, however even if it did get the new 17" battery it wouldnt last much longer than it current one does anyway because the 17" is bigger and can take a bigger battery whereas the 15" is small and has less spare room inside.

If i was you for $200 more i would be jumping at the glossy 17" but its your money.

3. dcx3 thread starter macrumors member

I have a 14" iBook running 10.4 and im used to the display on it. I am on the fence about the glossy displays, I dont want glare from lights - but it seems all laptops these days have glossy screens. I might have to wait until the 17" is in stores so I can see the different displays in person.