Education store discount questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derek1984, Dec 9, 2008.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

What is required to get the education store discount? If I go to an Apple store, is just a student i.d. from my college okay? If you order online, what information does Apple need to prove you are a student? Does Apple look into all purchases to see if buyers are really students if you order online?

2. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

For me they actually didn't ask for any proof. I just entered my school's store and ordered it at discount price. I don't think they will ask you for any proof. However I did have it shipped to my college residence, but I doubt that they will use shipping address to verify whether you are a student or not.

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

in store varies, usually just your ID card.
    online - Nothing ... anyone can use the discount if they wanted to.

4. MacMalv macrumors regular

online now, it asks to go through your college computer network. at least in the uk.

5. adamk77 macrumors 6502

They don't do a specific check. I believe they do a random checkup or audit every now and then though.

6. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

They certainly claim to. I bought my MBP over Thanksgiving break. I ordered from home and had it shipped to home. Didn't have to provide any proof.

Back in the day you used to have to fax them a form with a copy of your university ID on it. That was a PITA. I'm glad they have the new system.

7. MacJohnson macrumors regular

MacJohnson

I just bought my first MBP off the Ed Discount store, The only thing that I had to show proof was for Adobe becuase I had to buy ACS 4 and to get it at the REALLY cheap price I had to show proof.

8. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Yea this is what i got so i rang them up and said i was off campus and did it all over the phone with no proof :)

9. airattack111 macrumors member

I got mine without any proof either. They didn't even have my college on the list, so I picked a different one and it worked fine. $200 off :)

10. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Over the phone I was only asked what school I attended. I am disappointed by the $100 discount when it was $200 when I purchased my Powerbook.

11. infernohellion macrumors 6502