Education Store - Online Store/Retail

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jcb12, Jul 28, 2010.

1. jcb12 macrumors newbie

I am going to purchase my new iMac in the next few days but am looking for some advice when it comes to the Education Store.

I am no longer a student but my mother and sister are both teachers so I can get my discount through them.

I want to buy a 21.5 iMac with a i5 processor.

When I go to the education store the options I have are:

I can only select the last one as I am not connected to a Uni network or anything.

Would I need to order it in my Mothers name? How do apple confirm that you a eligible for a Education Discount?

As in - Can I buy the iMac in my name and then if needed use my Mothers details to confirm that she is eligible for an Education Discount?

OR

Would it be easier to just do this in store?

2. Jenko macrumors regular

Hi , I have just purchased an MBP and accessories through the Eduction store on-line here in Ireland. I am not sure exactly what you would have to do with regard to your mother or sisters discount. What I did was I compiled my order through apple on-line education store as a college student, saved it to the basket and created an account, then I phoned the customer services who were able to tell me what I had saved in my basket. All they asked me for, besides the money and address of course, was my student number. So with this in mind I would assume that they would ask your mother or sister for some kind of staff number or identification. From what you have said I would have thought it would make your life easier if you got your mother or sister to create her own account on-line, which is very straight forward when you are happy with your purchases get her to phone the apple customer services so she can order the device for you. It will not matter if her name is on the receipt as she is allowed to purchase one computer a year and it is allowed to be a gift for someone else.

3. SPX macrumors member

No problem; just order the computer that you want online under your name or your Mom's. At checkout, the website asks you to verify that you comply with the educational pricing agreement, and places your order. No phone calls or anything else required to verify your eligibility.

4. jcb12 thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers, yea think to save any hassle I will just make an apple account for my mum and do it that way... went into apple store today and the guy was less than helpful as he said i was "breaking the rules" and pretty much gave me no help whatsoever so figured on-line would be the easiest way to do it.

5. rufus247 macrumors member

Is there a limit to how many computer's you can buy with the education discount? Not that I buy a lot, but I bought one 3 months ago and I want to buy an iMac.

6. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Pretty sure it's one of each computer per year. So one iMac, one MacMini, one laptop, per year.

7. SPX macrumors member

Purchase Quantity

Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the following quantities of product per academic school year:

Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
    Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
    Apple TV: There is no limit on the quantity of Apple TV purchases per academic year
    iPod: There is no limit on the quantity of iPod purchases per academic year

**The above purchases can be made either online or through your Authorized Campus Reseller. Total product quantities remain the same regardless of where your purchase is made.