Education Store price changes

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by csnplt, Oct 16, 2008.

1. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

Has anyone else noticed that the education online store at store.apple.com has changed?

The first-tier macbook pro used to be $1800 with education discount, but now it is $100 more, at $1900. However, the high-end 15 inch with 2.53 gHz c2d, 512 mb 9600m gt, and 4 gb ddr3 retains the $200 discount, at $2300.

The new macbook air 120 gb hdd, 1.6 ghz has only a $100 discount now, before, i think that it had a $150 discount. However, the high-end MBA with 1.86 ghz c2d and 128 gb ssd has a $200 discount, down to $2300.

I also noticed that on the low end configuration of the MBA, the prices to upgrade both the processor and ssd are now lower, to add, together, to an extra $100 discount, making the price equal to the high-end config.

Did this all just happen? What do you think about this? Also, on another note, I am shocked at the price of the new 24 inch CD. The contrast ratio and especially, the response time just can't compare with other monitors at significantly lower prices, and without the glass glossy screen to artificially raise the contrast ratio (most other monitors with the same or better contrast ratio are matte). Are any of you considering buying?

2. rhyx macrumors 6502

Please show another 24 inch LCD that has LED backlighting for less than $900. Note that the popular Dell 24 inch LCDs do not have LED backlighting.

3. csnplt thread starter macrumors 6502

csnplt

I found a 22 inch screen, with a street price of around $500 and an msrp of $590. It is also LED backlit, and has the same static contrast ratio and a much lower response time. However, the dynamic contrast ratio of this 22 inch screen is 12000:1, much better than the new cinema display.

Here is the link:
    http://viewsonic.com/products/lcddisplays/led/VLED221wm/
    I know it is not 24 inch, but does 2 inches make all that much difference?

This lcd that I mentioned has a response time of 5 ms and the new cinema display has a response time of 14 ms. This is a huge difference, and lower is better.

Also, what do you think about the education discount changes?

4. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

educational pricing not so nice

i think it's unfortunate the recent trend in educational pricing. first they eliminated the discounts for ipods, not they are reducing the discount for macbooks. i wonder whether it's to cut down on people that aren't really students trying to take advantage of the edu discount. basically anyone can get into the apple education store online and place an order. i haven't heard of apple verifying eligibility before.

having said that, i believe that you may be able to get better deals at your campus computer store. it may not be all colleges, but I've heard that for a number of them, the price direct from the campus computerstore is different than the online price - possibly because in those cases, they can verify that you are in fact a student at that university. since i'm not a student anymore, i can't tell whether that's still true, but i know it was true a 5 years ago when I bought my powerbook. i think i got a bundle w/ applecare for a little over 2k.

same deal goes for buying leopard - i think the online discount went from $69 to $119 or something, but you can still get the $69 price at your campus computerstore.